Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could anybody help me please i have a 626 1998 with 118.000 miles
its suddenly lost all power feels like a 1.000cc car and also the engine seems a bit lumpy but it revs ok at standstill, but the power seems to have gone very low and when i rev it just does'nt sound right before at tickover you could hardly hear it ticking over now it sounds slightly like a diesel
thanks dave

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi dave

Sounds like the timing belt may have slipped to me. If not then its possible the CAT has collapsed causeing an exhast blockage - more likey the timing belt though imho.

G

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Could also be a Vacume leak. If it revs freely when under no load.?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Would a vacume leak cause it to sound like a diesel dave(mx6-uk) ?

( Just wondering :) )

G

PS - Two Daves in one thread ! this could get confusing :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Probably not G but when we have a problem we all start to hear things that we might have ignored before. Maybe its getting close to oil change time hence the "sightly" like a diesel.

Just thought I'd mention an easy to look at before you hit the timing belt cover which can be a pain.

Suppose the other could be a bad connection on the VAF as that can make the car run with the wrong air fuel ratio.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Just to point out that this is not a V6 engine... more than likely an FS or derivative... these use a MAF as well Dave, unlike our V6.

I would say it's a timing problem, either the belt or the dizzy has moved. (or gone faulty, sensor wise)

better to get it checked ASAP, as if it is the belt, it may have already caused some damage, and definately will if it snaps or moves any more.

John

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I am aware that the other engines dont have a VAF just hadnt picked up it wasnt the 2.5 :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
agreed it may be worth pulling the codes, but it's not the O2 sensors... they wouldn't cause such a noticable power drop.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts