Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day, my car was running fine. Next day, I go into the garage and try to start the car. I turn the key, and the car cranks, but does not start. All accessories work, but just doesn't want to start. Check the spark plugs for a spark, no spark. Thinking it might be the cap and rotor, I decided to change that. Changed it, still didn't work. Thinking it might be an ignitor, so I take it to a shop. They check the ignitor, found out that it was burnt. So they changed it. The car still would not start. They had no idea what was wrong. So they did some tests, and then they said it was the computer chip. They told me that the Mazda dealership had a remanufactured one for $1400CDN, but they found a used one for $450CDN. They said with install, it'll be $700! I was like What?! How can this be? It didn't seem like they knew what they were doing. I went on here and searched on Probetalk about new computer chips, and practically NO ONE had to replace it!

What should I do? I don't know? Should I tow it (AGAIN!) to another shop? Get another opinion? Mike, what do you think it is? If it's not the ignitor, what can it be? Please help me out, I have spent so much money on towing, parts, and labour already. I feel so stupid to be taking advantage of. Thank you.

G

·
the Madza dealer will always screw you...if it really is your computer, try to find one at a junkyard, i actually found a 93 mx6 with the computer still in it on my last trip. it will be MUCH cheaper. im not a huge tech guy so i dont really know if it would be anything else...

G

·
Like he said check the auto wrecker for a cheap one. I am a tech but my day job is building studios not fixing cars. If you can find the computer in your car, disconnect it and reconnect it to reseat the connections. Installation is probably a 10 minute job - certainly not worth $250 even if it is in CDN dollars. Got any MX6 friends with the same model who'll lend you their computer for 10 minutes. Do you have a Haynes manual -it might be worth the $15 if not. It'll have trouble shooting hints and I know mine has the complete schematics.
I drive a 96 - V6 and I don't know if they are the same or I'd look at the drawing for you - which of course is at home right now.

G

·
I've looked at my Haynes manual which buy the way is good from 93 to 98 models. It really gives good step by step instructions on testing for "no spark". You will need a volt meter but they can be had pretty cheap and everybody should own a voltmeter.There is apparently an ignition fuse in the underhood fuse box. Check for a bad fuse. If the ignitor went it could have popped a fuse. Do you have a solid state distributor??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts