Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, today my car suddenly stopped when i'm warming up, and i can't start the engine again,i really don't have any ideas whats the problem, because the battery is new, gas is full and it has no problem so far. its 93 V6..
i tried push the gas and slowly let go, but not worked
please help!!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
mazspeed said:
Hi, today my car suddenly stopped when i'm warming up, and i can't start the engine again,i really don't have any ideas whats the problem, because the battery is new, gas is full and it has no problem so far. its 93 V6..
i tried push the gas and slowly let go, but not worked
please help!!
An engine needs three things to run: compression, a spark at the right time and fuel in the right amount.

Check first for a spark. Pull a plug lead off and stick an old but functional spark plug into it. Lay the plug against the valve cover and crank the engine. Look for a fat spark to jump the gap once every second engine revolution.

If you see a spark, next check for fuel. Does the fuel pump run if you ground the "F/P" terminal in the Diagnostic box and turn on the ignition? Do you smell raw fuel in the exhaust? Pull a plug...is it wet indicating the engine is getting fuel?

If these check out, you'll need to dig deeper for some sort of mechanical malfunction; a compression check might be in order for instance.

I suspect you'll find no spark. If there isn't one, pull off the distributor cap and crank the engine. If the rotor doesn't turn, either the timing belt has broken or the exhaust camshaft on the front bank has snapped (I've actually heard of this happening...) 1993 and 1994 V6s were known to have fault-prone igniters installed at the factory. They generally start failing when the engine is under heavy load (e.g. merging onto highway traffic, the engine stalls unexpectedly) but the car will generally start again after a minute or so of sitting. Perhaps yours is one of the few that failed outright...

Anyway, a few pointers to get started diagnosing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply, my car just got fixed today, and its the distributor problem...the guy asked $540 for a rebuilt distributor with labor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts