Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help. I've got a 93 MX-6 LS (V6), the car feels alright in first and second but after that there isn,t much pull. My understanding was that around 4000 RPM the VRIS is supposed to kick in and you get a little extra pull, almost like a mini turbo. Anyway I floored the car and took it to about 6500 RPM from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The car doesn't seem to pull hard and i can't tell the difference past 4000 RPM (actual feels a little slower)I've replaced the spark plugs, cap/rotor oil change and checked the air filter. Everything seems fine but the car's got no kick. ( I got dusted by a CIVIC SIR = CIVIC SI in states)in all gears except 1st. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Razor said:
Hey guys I need some help. I've got a 93 MX-6 LS (V6), the car feels alright in first and second but after that there isn,t much pull. My understanding was that around 4000 RPM the VRIS is supposed to kick in and you get a little extra pull, almost like a mini turbo. Anyway I floored the car and took it to about 6500 RPM from 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The car doesn't seem to pull hard and i can't tell the difference past 4000 RPM (actual feels a little slower)I've replaced the spark plugs, cap/rotor oil change and checked the air filter. Everything seems fine but the car's got no kick. ( I got dusted by a CIVIC SIR = CIVIC SI in states)in all gears except 1st. Any suggestions?
Clarification: VRIS #1 opens at 3250 and stays open till 6250. VRIS #2 opens at 4250 and stays open till 6250.

A few ideas:

1) I'll assume there's no check engine light (CEL) indicating an electrical failure of one of the VRIS solenoids. There may still be a fault with one though on the "mechanical" side. Might be wise to pull them off and run some tests one them.

There are two vacuum lines connected to each solenoid and an electrical connector. Double check the electrical resistance across the solenoid electrical terminals. IIRC, it should be about 15-ohms or so. Blow through one of the ports on each solenoid. Air should flow through the second fitting on the solenoid. Connect the solenoid to +12V (making sure you apply +12V to the terminal that has the R/BK wire connected to it in the car) and blow again. Air should not be felt on the second fitting but instead should be heard escaping through the "top" of the solenoid.

(BTW, I might have this backwards. It's been a while since I've familiarized myself with these solenoids. It may be that when +12V is applied, the two ports are connected... What's important is that they "switch" and both solenoids operate the same way...)

2) Make sure all the vacuum lines on the back of the intake manifold are in good shape (i.e. no cracks etc).

3) Make sure the VAF core moves easily and smoothly over its full range of motion.

If these turn out to be okay, you might have to start digging deeper into less likely causes (e.g compression check?, timing belt skipped a tooth?, etc...)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts