Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on changing my cv shaft but i cant get the endlink on the stabilier off. Nither bolt will budge

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did you spray any PB blaster on there yet?

Do you have a breaker bar? I used to have problems removing fasteners till I finally bought one. (I like mine because it adjusts from 16 to 24 inches which is very handy) Now I just have to be careful not to snap studs in half. I only undid one end of the stabilizer, can't remember which one though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Are you aware that there is a hole to fit an allen wrench in the end of the stud so when you turn the nut they won't both turn?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
good luck. Theres an 8mm (I think might be 7) Allen key in the screw that you must hold while unscrewing the bolt.

However this things strips out 95% of the time and your best option is really just to cut them off and replace them.

Don't go to mazda for replacements though. I offer upgraded endlinks for sale in the hot deals forum or you can scan ebay/rockauto.com for stock replacements.

The dealership typically charges more for one then I do for the pair.

·
Registered
316 Posts
if you are doing CV shafts why are you trying to take the swaybar endlinks off??? i never had to remove these for a CV

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what my manual says. How else do i get the control arm off the bottom of the spindle to get the cv out. I need the bottom to be loose to swing out

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
$50 shipped

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think I had my 16 in. (maybe 24) ratchet on the nut in one hand and grabbed the allen key with a pair of vice grips or something like that in the other hand...yeah it will be on there good and tight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really dont understand y i cant get this shaft out. I cant grt the ball joint to seperate from the spindle all theway. I dont understand it

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Spray the pinch with lots of loosening/ lubricating oil, grab a beer (or a juice box in your case ;) ), Rent a ball joint seperator and use it. (be careful with the joint boot) No seperator? Take the control arm off (3 bolts, make sure you remember which bols went where. I think they are all 17mm) , then wack away with a soft faced hammer (or hammer and a wood block) until it falls out

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
ooooooooops

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well control arm bolts r always stuck for me. It pinchwd the fuck out of me today. Its like 3/4 of tye way out

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would have used some very colorful language at that point!

I used a pickle fork and a heavy hammer to pop the joint but it's highly likely maybe 70% to tear the boot...but you're replacing it anyways, I guess.

The shop manual says "use a pry bar"...and that will probably work,,,maybe, with the right pry bar positioned in just the right spot, but they always have their cars up on a lift so it's so much easier....

It took some good pounding on the fork with my little sledge to get that sucker out of there.

:shrug:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya there is a blood trail across my manual from when i pulled my hand back ill try a little more tomorroa

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a blood trail across my hanes manual from when i pulled my hand back ha ill give it another go tomorrow

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok a little sucess. Now any tips on gettig the cv out of the half shaft

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ehh i used a sleg hammer tapped it out thank everyone for the help. Now that i look back everything was so easy i just complicated it cuz i was frustrated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts