Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, yesterday i was rollin like any other day when i pulled into my friends house and shut off the car; then like 15 min later when i go back out and try to start it
it wont turn over (note it was about a 100 degree day out here in the southern idaho and the engine temp was about halfway between the thermometer symbol in the middle and the red dash)(by the way what could be causing the motor to get this hot, it has never gotten this hot and i know that if the motor gets real real hot in our cars the aluminum head could WARP or even CRACK) what is weird is ill let the motor cool off and then it still wont start. When i turn the ignition the motor doesnt start but you can hear the juices flowin. everything is fine all battery connections, good battery(normal amps on battery meter are shown) i have never had any problems like this before. i dont think it is the starter but maybee like the electrical to the starter because sometimes it does start like normal. there is something getting very hot and that i think is what is not letting the starter engage. could it be the computer failing or an old or wako thermostat, o2 sensor??? i just cant figure it out. what should i do???

I HATE PUSH STARTING THE DAMN THING!!!!

any help to get it to start every time like before would be way appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is probably your starter. They usually show more failing symptons when it gets hot outside. Is the starter not engaging at all sometimes and then other times it will engage and start with no problems if so starter. I had the same thing a few years ago on my first probe.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Try this, jack the car up somehow, preferably use ramps, or jackstands, and get someone to crank the car while you tap GENTLY on the starter with a wrench or something. If it starts, your starter is bad, either the solenoid is gone, or something. If it still doesn't crank, I'd suspect something in the wiring, try wiggling the key, maybe your ignition switch is bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, it could be one of the things mentioned above, or it could have been what my problem was a few weeks ago. I had been working under my hood a bit (I think I was doing the O2 sensor) and after I was finished, my car would NOT start, wouldn't even turn over, even though the battery was in fine shape. So...I spent a good 3 hours playing with wires under my hood, and I found my problem.

There's a wire, coming out of the fuse block, the one to the left of the battery. It is a single black wire, its probably a 12 or 10 gauge wire, and it has a snap disconnect in the middle. I pulled apart the interconnect and found inside the connectors were fairly corroded. Apparently I had bumped the connector just enough so it wasn't making enough contact anymore. I cleaned it off a bit, snapped it back together and my MX6 came to life again. Needless to say I was a bit concerned that I had messed something up bigtime on my car...

Anyway, check it out and hopefully, thats it. Probably cheaper than getting someone to work on your starter, even if it isn't the case. Good Luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2.2 ALIVE!!! old starter ded

my gratitude to texmx, i tapped the starter a bit and got it to start(finally!) it was the starter, i put in a new(rebuilt) starter yesterday and now she starts (with enthusiasim) every time thanks you guys!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don't worry about it, I've been there before. Mine was so bad, sparks would come shooting out into my face, forgot to warn you about that. I think I was tapping too hard or something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was pretty sure it was starter too. I had that same problem. For some reason it just seem that it would act up when it was hot outside until eventually it would just act up all the time. Glad to hear that u r all straight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts