Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Serious problems here. Just failed an emission test due to clogged 02 sensors, bad plugs, bad pcv valve, weak catalytic converter etc, etc.

To get a conditional pass all I have to do is replace the 02 sensors which I am having done. However, the mechanic who looked at my vehicle said that it was in need of a MAJOR tune-up and proceeded to rattle off a list of 10+ things that need to be done for a total of $1700 which is total BS. I'm sure some of these are bogus and would love some expert advice on what repairs I MUST/SHOULD do, to keep everything running healthy and clean, and which suggested repairs are bogus and don't really need done.

Suggested work includes:
Replace 02 sensors (done)
Replace air filter (done)
Replace pcv valve
replace fuel filter
replace distributor cap and rotor
replace spark plugs (done)
replace spark plug wires (is this really necessary???)
replace cat. converter

What I'm really looking for is just a brief list of all the things that should be replaced during a major tune-up. If anyone can suggest anything else that I might want to do or have done to get everything back up to par it would be MUCH appreciated. The car has had it's lube,oil & filter changed on a regular basis since I've had it, but it hasn't had a tune-up in two years. Yikes. Please help. It has 85,000 miles on it, and is in otherwise good condition. No mods done, all stock. Last tune up was the 60,000 miles servicing when they replace the timing belt etc.

Cheers,
Qorn

·
Registered
734 Posts
Woah... That's almost every emission causing thing on your car. Anyways, the O2s will probably get you through the emissions test. The cat is about 90 bucks (US). The cap and Rotor would be around the same price. As for the PCV valve and the fuel filter, this is just good maintenance. The fuel filter is like 12 bucks and the PCV valve is like 2 - 3 buck. The wires may or may not have to be done. If they're damaged or something then they should be replaced. Have you ever had the wires replaced before? They're not TOO much, but i'd shop around for them just to be safe. NGK and Magnacor are good wires for the money. You should check your timing as that can be a big pollution problem that can be resolved quite simply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
wires

I bought the car with 98,000kms, and it is now at 136,500km two and a bit years later. I have never changed the wires and don't know if it's been done in the past. They're blue NGK wires, and I have no idea what their typical life span is. Upon visual inspection they look fine, but I don't know what the resistance is like internally. It's entirely possible that they're the OEM wires from 10 years ago.

Lastly, is a pcv valve replacement something that can be done by an auto-idiot? I don't know what's involved, but I managed to do the spark plugs without any difficulty. What about the dist. cap and rotor? Would you suggest doing any of these yourself just to save on very expensive mechanic's labour? I think I'll leave the fuel filter for a pro, just because you have to jack up the car and I don't want do have to get into that, and I have nowhere to do it.
Give me your thoughts,

Qorn
PS How do you go about checking your timing?

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
The PCV is really easy. Its on the front valve cover on the drivers side. It is a 90* elbow. Just pop it out and seperate it from the hose that leads into the intake manifold. Just replace the PCV elbow with a new one and hook up the hose again. Nothin to it.

The fuel filter isn't difficult either. You do not need to jack up the car at all. It is located in the engine bay directly under the Intake elbow. Looks like a little can. Once you find it, its pretty self explanatory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts