Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, some help needed with my MX-6.

Twice in the last few weeks the car has cut out whilst doing about 80 mph on a dual carriageway. Very scary situation to be in, luckily not much traffic around and I was able to switch on the hazards and coast to the kerb.
The engine dies, all the warnings lights come, but it will not start whilst coasting. maybe because its an auto it will only start in park.
Once stopped it would turn over but not start. I checked for any loose leads in engine bay and found nothing loose. Buy now I had to reset the alarm and then it started and I drove away.
The exact same thing happened to my wife today and she did what i did and drove away again. On both occassions the car had only been going at speed for a few minutes after about 10 mins of town driving.

Obviously something is going wrong but what would cause it to cut out like that?
Could it be a ECU fault or could it connected to the alarm/immoboliser?

Any help would be much apprecited.

Oh and a merrry Christmas to one and all.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Just to add to this...

The problem you have is most certainly the Ignitor in the distributor, the downside is it will get worse until you fix it.. eventually the car will not start at all.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
Just phoned my local Ford main dealer and they have both bits in stock at the prices shown on here.

How easy is it to fit?
The links on how to fit it didn't work. Is it a diy job i.e unscrew the old and fit the new or does it have to be set up by someone who knows what they are doing?

In the meantime I'm off to get the bits.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you need to reset the Alarm before you get the car running again, I would have said must be something to do with the imobiliser.
But that would happen only if your imobiliser is connected to the fuel pump.

My 626 use to do that if I left the car armed and I tried to start it. The Alternater would turn but it wouldnt start.

(Would I be right with that guys?) :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a new ignitor unit and coil from Ford and fitted them in about 1.5 hours. Also realised I need a new air filter.
I had to modify the ignitor cover by cutting off 2 blade type bits of plastic as the Ford parts were slightly different molding. And I didn't take the old condensor off as its lead was already broken so I connected it to the new ignitor. The screw for the condensor is very hard to get at anyway.

I'll only know if its fixed the problem if it doesn't cut out again, so fingers crossed etc.

I think the immobiliser wasn't the problem, as it has to be reset when it times out if the car isn't started within a few seconds. When it times out the starter wont turn but it was turning in this case.

Once again thanks for your help Dave and John.

Cheers, Graham.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Glad it's "sorted".... agreed about the screw for the condensor... pain in the butt if you drop it.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts