Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I've got (obviously) an 89GT, and all I have on it is a filter adapter on the VAF.

Recently, the car has been acting weird. It idles great, and works ok at part throttle, but if I go full throttle, it barely revs, and has no power at all. At part throttle it comes into boost and does ok, but it randomly works like ass.

I have the EGR tube removed and plugged, (too much of a hassle to reinstall when I did the headgasket a couple months ago.

Basically I just got 1/2-to-full throttle bogging.

Add lately I've been able to hear the BOV even though it's stock and still recirculated, which seems weird to me, since I couldn't always hear that. It's that normal?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You have a definate boost leak. Check out the rubber TB boot for cracks. I can almost assure you that's the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll pull that off when I get home and check, I though that might be it, and I checked, but didn't see anything thing. I'll pull it off, it'd be great to find this problem. Could the BOV be leaking boost as well, I don't trust this cheap things...

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
The reason why you can hear the bypass valve (BOV) is because of the filter you installed. The air box use to muffel the sound.

It does sound like you have a boost leak, do you hear a loud rush of air when the car acts weird??

The bypass could be leaking since you did free up some psi. It could have craped out with the little psi gain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't hear a wush of air when it bogs, it bogs almost instantly when I go full throttle, even below the boost threshold

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
boost leak. Make sure you take off that boot to check for cracks. They usually can't be seen unless you take it off, because it usually cracks on the bottom and it stays closed until you boost, and it's pushed open.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope that's it, it'd be way easier to fix... then some other crap...
thanks for the help, any other ideas are welcome...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Boost leak.
Check all piping from the turbo to the intercooler to the throttle body. I would pull it all off, inspect every inch of every piece.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey man i had a very similar problem. i asked about it and every one said stuff like tb boot and intercooler piping and stuff. turned out i took out my fuel pump and the bag filter on it was nasty. i cleaned it w/ parts cleaner and an air hose. ran great after. not even mazdas diagnostic or anything could trace it. give it a try.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey 89GT4ME how has your car been running since you took out the EGR pipe. Have you noticed any difference like the check engine light coming on a lot more or the car bogging at cruise speed. I almost wasn't going to put it back on either when I just did my headgasket but then decided to when I read about it having more negatives then positives, but let me tell you that thing was the biggest pain in the @$$ out of the whole head job!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts