Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am trying to install my new door. The old hinge was lose so I installed the one that came with the door. Now, If I install the hinge to the frame and tighten the bolts, I can't get the hinge to line up with the door. Then I tried to install the hinge to the frame without tightening the screws. I can get the door to line up, but then I can't get to the bolts to tighten them. I am thinking that I will have to remove the fender to get to the bolts to tighten them to the frame. This just sucks. Anyone have any ideas? This workshop manual that I have doesn't even say how to install the door and hinge.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It depends on which way the hinge adjusts....does it adjust up and down or left and right or both?
For instance:
If it adjusts up and down, and you know that the hinge's correct position in NOT all then way up, or all the way down, then place the hinge in a position you know it will not be in. Then get a piece of sponge, cut it into a 1" cube, and glue one side to the top or bottom of the hinge (depending on your case) - position it so another side of the sponge will touch the frame. Put paint on the side of the sponge that will touch the frame. Line up your door properly and take it off. Where the paint stops on your frame will tell you the correct position for the hinge so you can tighten the bolts. I hope this makes sense. If not ask me to clarify and I'll post a diagram.

You could also do this by taping a magic marker to the hinge or anything else that will make a mark on the frame to tell you the right place to tighten down the hinge. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When i worked at a used car lot. We used to go to auctions and buy smashed cars, then rebuild them from a junkyard car to sell them. When we put on doors, on any car...we had the hinges on the door and then put them on the frame. It also helps to have 2 people putting on doors, especially big doors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got it done. I ended up taking the fender off to be able to realign the door. That meant that I had to remove the headlight too. But now it closes very easily which makes me happy. I took some pictures of the car without the door and fender. When I get them developed I will have to post them :) I wish that I wasn’t so suborned on the first day when I refused to remove the fender. Oh well, it only took me 7 or so minutes to remove the fender. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts