Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do a second generation mx-6 weigh?
The second generation mx-6 engine bay is similar to the second generation probes engine bay right ?

If it is then the first gen mx-6 motor should be able to fit into a 2nd gen mx-6 ,right?, because the first gen mx-6 motor can fit into the second gen probes. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Can someone please help me?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
spoolin6 said:
How much do a second generation mx-6 weigh?
The second generation mx-6 engine bay is similar to the second generation probes engine bay right ?

If it is then the first gen mx-6 motor should be able to fit into a 2nd gen mx-6 ,right?, because the first gen mx-6 motor can fit into the second gen probes. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Can someone please help me?
The first gen MX6s weigh in around 2500lbs.... roughly. Their engine bays are indentical to that of the probe, minus stock air intake and minor things ike that. And I've NEVER seen or heard of a 2nd gen sporting a 1st gen engine. It's probably best to get that idea out of your head. Why would you want to anyway?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Re: Re: help I need info on the second gen mx-6?? Turbo??

rylinkus said:
It's probably best to get that idea out of your head. Why would you want to anyway?
Because it is much faster. =) why else. I dunno about the ZE.. but i know that my GT is wayy faster than my LS.. even when the GT was stock.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Re: Re: Re: help I need info on the second gen mx-6?? Turbo??

SeVeN X7X said:
Because it is much faster. =) why else. I dunno about the ZE.. but i know that my GT is wayy faster than my LS.. even when the GT was stock.
ATX????
And both cars can be made fast.
I think if you want a first gen engine you should stick with a first gen. Think of the money you could put inot your engine with the price of this swap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so your trying to tell me that the amount of money I can spend on motor work for the fe3 to make it fast I can put it into a second gen motor to be faster then the fe3? I'm doing the labor myself. The only thing I can't do is literally bore and beef up the motor. Other then that I do my own work, it's a proud feeling if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much do the second gen mx-6's weigh? Who wouldn't want the performance of a first gen and the looks of a second gen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2nd gen mx-6's are around 3K lbs, give or take, there IS a 2nd gen probe sporting an FE3, his name is rafi, its gonna be a dope ass project but LOTS of custom work... stock for stock both 1g and 2g probes and mx-6's run the same 1/4 times, stop trying to give facts off of the butt dyno, its not accurate, especially when comparing an atx and mtx... unless you want to do a lot of custom work i recomend not trying to swap in the FE3, just turbo your 2g's 6 cylinder and be done with it, it will be plenty fast and MUCH less work...

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: help I need info on the second gen mx-6?? Turbo??

rylinkus said:
ATX????
And both cars can be made fast.
I think if you want a first gen engine you should stick with a first gen. Think of the money you could put inot your engine with the price of this swap.
Yes ATX. when my GT was an ATX it was still faster than my 2nd gen ATX. now that its an MTX its MUCH faster haha. But, i have just recently ridden in an MTX 2nd gen.. and i must admit, it had much more power than my ATX does. Time to do my 2nd swap =)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
JHew84 said:
2nd gen mx-6's are around 3K lbs, give or take, there IS a 2nd gen probe sporting an FE3, his name is rafi, its gonna be a dope ass project but LOTS of custom work... stock for stock both 1g and 2g probes and mx-6's run the same 1/4 times, stop trying to give facts off of the butt dyno, its not accurate, especially when comparing an atx and mtx... unless you want to do a lot of custom work i recomend not trying to swap in the FE3, just turbo your 2g's 6 cylinder and be done with it, it will be plenty fast and MUCH less work...
The ole Butt dyno seems to be more indicative of torque then hp or speed......

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
rylinkus said:
The ole Butt dyno seems to be more indicative of torque then hp or speed......
Yeah, absolutely.

"People buy horsepower, and drive torque" is a somewhat inaccurate adage, but does make a point.

A lot of it is driving style too, if people arent willing to pull a KL to 7000 in first, 6250 thereafter (or higher for you ZE guys) then it sure will feel/be slow.

-Garrett

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
skiingman said:
Yeah, absolutely.

"People buy horsepower, and drive torque" is a somewhat inaccurate adage, but does make a point.

A lot of it is driving style too, if people arent willing to pull a KL to 7000 in first, 6250 thereafter (or higher for you ZE guys) then it sure will feel/be slow.

-Garrett
I got to ride in my Friends GSR at the track once. His Integra has never "felt" fast to me. It doens't put me back in my seat or anything amusing like that. What it does do is pull hard through all the gears and shocks the hell out of the Honda basher when he realizes the damn thing ran a 14.2. :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts