Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my rpm needle moving up and down between 700 to 500 rpm causing a lopey idle while im sitting in traffic. And also when im decelarating the RPM needle will drop down almost causing the car too die out . but when i give the car gas it runs fine is there a sensor going bad? Please help me from pulling my hairs out.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
When was the last time you had a tuneup? My 93 LS does the same thing when the wires, cap, rotor, or plugs go bad. Basically it sounds like an ignition issue. Might also want to check for oil left in the sparg plug hole - this can also cause misfiring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been about 7 to 8 months since my last tuneup. Ill start with that and see if it cures the problem. Do you think the EGR sensor is going bad?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And also if it's a ignition or misfiring issue wouldnt the car run bad if it was moving? Cause it runs normal when given gas. Thanx for the feedback.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Try searching here, or on probetalk for idle adjust procedures (there are several). The simplest one (not necessarily the best)involves backing the idles screw out a couple of turns, jumping the TEN and GND pins in the diagnostic connector under the hood, starting the car, adjusting the position of the TPS (loosen screws and rotate) to the threshold where the fan turns on, and adjust the idle down below 650 or whatever its supposed to be. Remove the jumper and restart and your idle should be good. If it still oscillates, one possibility is that you have air in your coolant--as the coolant runs through the TB/IAC assembly air bubbles can have an effect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the input The (excessive shaking) thread sounds like he's having the same problem i have and your the second person to mention the IAC valve (idle air control valve). Like stage36 says if it's a misfiring issue the problem would continue besides being at idle speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts