Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to remove the Rear MM. I removed the Manifold, TB, and even the MM nuts/bolts, but I cant lift it out of the car. It seems to get stuck on the edge against the firewall so I cant raise it enough to clear the mounting studs. Help!

Jim D
94 PGT

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Did you remove the 3 bolts on top of the MM?

Cause if the through bolt and top bolts are removed, it should just slide right out. If you can't jack it up far enough try lowering it down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3 nuts and bolts and thru bolt are all out. Its easy to wiggle and move the mm and it feels like it will just pull right out, but it catches on something?? I'll try jacking the engine up-down to see if i can get clearance. Thanks

·
Banned
272 Posts
its catching on the firewall insulation , it's a pia , also somtime you gotta yank the mounting nut for wiring harness on the wall .
Your best friend when doing this job is pateince .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotten97, you are right, it keeps hitting the firewall (Rotten97 is an unusual name, anyway...). How do you get it to clear the stud/firewall???? Its a PITA!

Jim D

·
Banned
272 Posts
you can just keep working it , or take along screw driver and chip the insulation away , you should able to clear the stud with the wiring harness of it ,and pulled away maybe tie it off , if not just bend the faqher .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, the firewall insulation was a PITA. It caught up on it. I had to work on if for a while. Just keep jiggling the mount. Also, I use a box cutter/screwdriver to remove some of the insulation around the base of the mount.

Before I put the mount back, I trimmed the edge of the MM with a barrel sander mounted on a Dremel. Took off sharp edges and took off perhaps 1-2 mm from a corner. It slips right back in. Also, when I need to get the MM off again, it won't be so hard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its most likely getting stuck on either the wiring harness (have you unscrewed it from the firewall?) or the little bolts that come out of the firewall which are used to hold the wiring harness. They are a part of the firewall kinda, so you can bend them up to get enough clearance (I had to), then just bend them back once you put the new mount in and are ready to reattach the wiring harness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had to abort and take it easy and replace the VCGs. I did remove the harness screws BTW. My knuckles hurt too much to go back down there. I'll cut some insulation back to see if that will work, but it sure feels like its metal-metal interference???

I did do a search prior to doing this and never saw this coming. I had thought it was a breeze to get out with the manifold off?

I like the idea of cutting/rounding the new mount. Thanks again.

If you think of anything else, pls post it

Jim D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I finally got it out. PITA! Cutting the insulation and encouragement of a prybar seemed to do it. I plan to smooth the edges tomorrow like Omaha95 suggested for future removal-good tip!

Jim D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a bit easier on the mx6's; they have more room in the back between the firewall and the engine, whereas probes have more room in the front between the radiator and the motor. Still, what exactly was it getting caught on? I had no issues aside from the wiring harness bolts :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts