Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, what kind of maintenence stuff can cause a loss in power? i slacked off in the tune up department and now, after racing a car i KNOW i aleays beat and LOSING, i realize it has taken its toll on performance. i am also about to install quite a few mods, but i wanna mod a PROPERLY running car so i get full benefit. here's the stats:

--current mods:
new k&n dual cone
new ngk wires
new O2 sensors
just used redline fuel syst cleaner
redline MT90 gear oil
H&R springs
KYB rear struts
17s w/235/40

--KNOWN problems:
bad front motor mount (maybe rear too)
old plugs (have new ones, gonna install)
BAD front struts (maybe other front susp probs too)
2+ oil leaks (v cover gask, oil pan gask, i think a hose by alternator too)
exhaust leak-front manifold
due for oil change

so based on all that, what can i do to restore LOST power before adding my mods? what else does a tune up consist of? could any of the listed things result in a power loss?
any ideas are GREATLY appreciated...THANX!

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

G

·
0 Posts
Just a note for everyone doing stuff to their cars like intake, throttle body, and exhaust: you need to have the comp in your car calibrated to the cars new additions. That is the only way you will get ulimate performance.

·
Registered
375 Posts
loss in power fix

Hey BLUMX6, your power loss is more than likly because of your exhaust leak. I had the same problem on my 6, before getting my ported head. I ignored it for a couple months, but i felt a loss in power. Eventually the gasket burnt off completely, damn cheap Fel-pro. My performance was deeply effected. I always smoked my friends 2000 NEON by at least 12 cars, but over time the performance got worse & worse. By the time the gasket was completly missing, I WAS LOSING TO A NEON!!! Now with my ported head, no leaks, and other mods, I kill his car by a least 1/2 mile. You should get that leak fixed first, go to the dealership to buy the gasket, DO NOT BUY FEL-PROS IT SUCKS. You should also replace the distributor cap and rotor, and the fuel filter. Dont forget to reset your computer, this is done by disconecting the negative battery cable for at least 10 sec. Start your car, leave it at idile for a couple of min., with none of your accesories on like your radio, a/c, etc. This lets the computer recognize your mods and program itself for better performance. Hope I helped, later.

[Edited by Importheadmp89 on 02-22-2001 at 02:22 AM]

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: loss in power fix

Importheadmp89 said:
Hey BLUMX6, your power loss is more than likly because of your exhaust leak. I had the same problem on my 6, before getting my ported head. I ignored it for a couple months, but i felt a loss in power. Eventually the gasket burnt off completely, damn cheap Fel-pro. My performance was deeply effected. I always smoked my friends 2000 NEON by at least 12 cars, but over time the performance got worse & worse. By the time the gasket was completly missing, I WAS LOSING TO A NEON!!! Now with my ported head, no leaks, and other mods, I kill his car by a least 1/2 mile. You should get that leak fixed first, go to the dealership to buy the gasket, DO NOT BUY FEL-PROS IT SUCKS. You should also replace the distributor cap and rotor, and the fuel filter. Dont forget to reset your computer, this is done by disconecting the negative battery cable for at least 10 sec. Start your car, leave it at idile for a couple of min., with none of your accesories on like your radio, a/c, etc. This lets the computer recognize your mods and program itself for better performance. Hope I helped, later.

[Edited by Importheadmp89 on 02-22-2001 at 02:22 AM]
actualy your going to want to disconect it for more like 10 min while holding the break pedal down.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Forced Induction, maybe...

Maybe for bigger power you should go FI -way. Not easy, not cheap but maybe best bang for buck... I'm doing some research about this and now I think I'm going FI soon with my -93 LS.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had a feeling that was it. plus my car dont feel right with that bad motor mount. my headers should be here soon. i'll use new gaskets of course. its just gonna be hard to tell if my power was restored or if its just from the headers. plus i'm doin the plugs saturday if i can bare the cold and snow we're currently gettin. like 6 inches they say.

i'll do em anyway. :)

thanx. if any other ideas, lemme know.
can the cap n rotor really make a diff? any way i can check the one i have now?

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
375 Posts
BLUMX6, they do make a difference. When I was working at a Chevy dealership, some customer brought his tricked out 454 SS truck in because it was running poor. I was a tech assistant, so I watched the certified tech go trough engine codes but couldnt find anything wrong. So he started checking for other problems, he event went to the trouble of getting custom burnt chips from Haltech, to make the story short it was the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires... a tune up. Before it came in we tried and tried to make it burn out ( dont take your car to a dealership, if you only knew who drove it. little punks like me rag out customer cars like nothing. I used to have lots of fun in brand new vettes, man I miss that job) but after that, that truck smoked those tires like nothing. You should clean it on the inside of the terminals to see if it improves. If it looks worn replace it, later.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You should clean it on the inside of the terminals to see if it improves. If it looks worn replace it, later. [/B]

clean what terminals? do tell... sounds like my problem. my cap n rotor are at least 1 1/2 yrs old.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Half of a full tune-up will restore power, and the other half will prevent future problems.

To restore power:

air filter
fuel filter
fuel injectors (clean or flush)
PCV valve
check and replace if necessary O2 sensors
spark plugs
spark plug wires
distributer cap and rotor
throttle body cleaner(de-carb)
calibrate throttle position sensor (TPS)
adjust timing
check VRIS solenoids are working properly.

preventative:

oil change and filter
check and top off all fluids
tire pressure

in response to Woodnutz, the KL-03 ecu is not easy to modify for gains. Timing is self adjusting and limited by the knock sensor. Fuel is monitored by the O2 sensors but can be supplimented by a fuel pressure riser (FPR). This is good enough for minor bolt ons. BTW, shorten your sig, it's annoyingly long.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah the same about the computer for the FSD (FS01). and that sig has to go. do you even drive a '6 or what? im not saying your not welcome if you dont but what is best for your car might not be best for ours. just a thought...

·
Registered
47 Posts
My car lost major power due to bad spark plugs and bad wires. Got new NGK wires and plugs, the car runs better now than it did when I bought it. :V

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually, i was just gonna post that i installed new plugs yesterday. WOOOOOO HHOOOOOOOO!!!
powers back. my wires were new as of mid december. NGKs. still cherry.

but yeah, the plugs did it. i'm gonna do another FI cleaner. can only help.

anyone know how to check a distributor cap + rotor????

thanx
L8Rs
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
59 Posts
FI cleaner should be catalyst based. Only two are Redline and Techron. All others are solvent based and will wear valves, heads, pistons etc.

disty cap and rotor: check for cracks in cap, and corrosion on terminals. A light pass with a fine grit sand paper on both cap and rotor will restore surface. If never been replaced yet, replace with new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts