Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 Gt, I was driving it pretty hard last nite and as I was going home I noticed the turbo wasn't boosting like it should. When I took a ride this morning, I discovered the turbo is totally INOP. If I take it above 3000 rpm in any gear it kind of bogs down and then the overboost tone comes on and I get fuel cut off. I think I can here the turbo spooling sometimes. Anyone now what is wrong?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You've developed a boost leak somewhere....lots of possible hoses.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll just start replasing hoses untill it goes away. Thanks AntiSuv.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Check the throttle body elbow first. Those are usually the first to go.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I 'm not sure if the turbo is spooling up or not. I here faint hissing sound but no turbo whine. I would think that I would here both if there was a leak. I have no clue though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the elbow off today at work. It was more than cracked- the bottom part of it was spilt half way through. I made a temp fix with epoxy and rubber (f-4) tape. I can't try it out untill my shift is over though. thanks for the help.:cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
How did you good with the temporary fix? Did it hold?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i will tell you right now
that glue shit will NOT WORK.

my throttle elbow blew on me on my way back to georgia, stranded me for another night that i could not afford with work, well, i took it to a shop, i waited 3 hours for them to fix it, 2 to get the part, and 1 more for the glue crap to cure/settle.

50 miles down the road, the damned thing BROKE on me AGAIN, this time the glue just let go, and i still had the part damaged in the same way, only this time with glue around it....

so, after watching macGuyver for many, MANY years as a youth, i ALWAYS have a roll or two of duct tape in my car...

needless to say, i went macguyver on the elbows ass, taped it up for the last leg of the trip home (6 hours of driving from georgia to my home in florida).

buy a new one!

thats the lesson i learned.

get ahold of tek only or whomever is parting out his first gen mx6 from canada here on the boards.

-meaty

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The glue/tape didn't do shit. I got about half a mile down the road and it blew. I'm gona try to duct tape it untill I get a hold of a new one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the boot back off and wrapped it up with duct tape. I still don't get full boost but it is better than it use to be.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Has anyone tried to use a tire patch kit to repair one of these things? You know the kind with the little rubber patch and goop. These repair kits are made to hold lots of pressure you know, so maybe that would be something to try...
You would put the patch on the inside of the boot, I think.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just replace the darn thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to replace it. I'm having problems finding the damn thig though. I have requsts in with 3 online junkyards. I called the local MAZDA dealer and asked them how much for a nice new OEM part. I was very specific about what the part was and after a half an hour on hold he tried to sell me the breather hose going from the valve cover the the throttle body, F***ing idiot [email protected] . I also sent a e-mail to a MX-6er who is junking his car

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The glue/tape didn't do shit. I got about half a mile down the road and it blew. I'm gona try to duct tape it untill I get a hold of a new one.

like i said....

some people just dont listen...

-meaty

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i almost forgot, in the parts catalog, for the throttle body, it is part #17, the guy showed me the book, and asked "is it 17 (the boot)" yup, thats it, part number 17 on the throttle body.

hope that helps with the dealership, but it will cost you $72 to get it from the dealership....

-meaty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts