Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2445507698

I would jus lput taht on and leave the black tubing and thing that catches the air on the front so that would catch air and send it to the intake, but what about the mas air flow sensor?

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2445214728

that one is a cold air intake, but it dosnt go all the way down. i live in upstate ny and will be driving my car in the winter, so will the cai be bad?

I was thinking those intakes becuase of price reasons but i found a weapon R on nopi.com for 95$

tell me what u guys think

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
wagon the second ebay intake goes down to a splash guard right near the bottom of the ground its covered enough to keep anything from getting. you'll also get your most gains from it. the first one will just suck hot air from your engine bay and bog down your cars response.

·
Registered
28 Posts
parisifal already helped me out with this...buy the CAI, not the ram air...you want to suck the air down from below your engine, where the air is still cool...that way your not just breathing in hot air

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
AEM style intakes are great, although they don't make an intake for the KL03, the concept is simple: create higher air flow speed with smaller piping. When the air flows faster, it has a siphoning effect, it also limits the time the air spends in the piping to be heated. On the flip side, too small of a pipe and you'll choke your engine. Just find that happy medium. :)

T

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mr.T said:
AEM style intakes are great, although they don't make an intake for the KL03, the concept is simple: create higher air flow speed with smaller piping. When the air flows faster, it has a siphoning effect, it also limits the time the air spends in the piping to be heated. On the flip side, too small of a pipe and you'll choke your engine. Just find that happy medium. :)

T
How do you create higher air flow speed without a supercharger? If the engine cant expel air any faster, no more air will go in, especially thru a smaller tube. Siphoning effect? Who's been feeding you this? This may seem to make sense on an open system, but with things like an engine and an exhaust system in the way, I'm afraid this just isnt how it works.
You wanna buy some oceanfront property I have in Idaho?})

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
lordy611 said:
I'm afraid this just isnt how it works.
You wanna buy some oceanfront property I have in Idaho?})
Which ocean???
Though I must agree with you on the other point. Then engine can only intake what it can expel. I suppose if you tried to pull air in through a smaller diameter intake you'd get faster intake velocities to counteract the smaller cross sectional area of the intake. Not that this would fully make up for the smaller intake. But you might help any heat transfer from the intake to the air.

But in the end, I think the bigger and smoother the intake the better off you are.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
So what would be a good size tube for the intake, 2.75"? 3"?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aussomea said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446775701&category=38634
id get that one

MR. T is right. does a river flow faster where its wider or narower?? narrower. it may still be flowing the same amount of water(air) but where its narrower the water(air) moves faster. think about it, it makes sense ;)
And it's also more restrictive where it's narrowest. And more then anything, the CAI should accomplish 2 major tasks....
1. Pull air from a cooler spot. (In our case under the engine bay)
2. Be as unrestrictive as possible.

As for the air heating up due to a smaller pipe and all that jazz, I'm not a buyer. The air is in the intake for such a small amount of time any air it can absorb is negligable.

A river doesn't work the same way as an engine anyway. An engine PULLs air in from a vacuuming effect. A river FLOWS downhill due to gravitational forces. It's not really the same thing.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
to be unrestrictive, it would have to have little turbulence right? bottle necking would cause turbulence, a good idea would be to have air flowing at the same velocity all the way through the intake. i'd say that a good CAI diameter would generally be about the size of the TB. i think our stock TB's are 63mm??? so thats a little bigger than 2.5" either way i dont care, i agree that a river is different than an engine, i was just using that as an example, effects in the engine are less since it is a vacuum so hp isnt effected that greatly as long as its big enough to flow as much as the rest of the components of the intake.

all i was saying before was that air flows more quickly through a smaller area, do u agree with me about that yet? cause im right lol

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aussomea said:

all i was saying before was that air flows more quickly through a smaller area, do u agree with me about that yet? cause im right lol
While I do agree that air gets sucked through the CAI faster if it's smaller I disagree that a syphonning effect occurs creating higher gains. The engine can only take in the air that it's volumetric efficiency dictates. We open up the exhaust and intake, Port Heads and IMs, and cone TBs all hoping to increase the VE, (Or at least shift it along the RPM range in a effective manner.) All this aside the engine can only pull so much air. A smaller intake isn't going to produce any amazing results.

Take a straw. See how quickly you can drink a glass of water using it. (Beer if you prefer.) Now repeat the same process using one of the very tiny, double straw coffee stirrers. I can promise you all the syphonning effects in the world aren't going to make the latter win.

·
Registered
787 Posts
rylinkus said:
Take a straw. See how quickly you can drink a glass of water using it. (Beer if you prefer.) Now repeat the same process using one of the very tiny, double straw coffee stirrers. I can promise you all the syphonning effects in the world aren't going to make the latter win.
Good analogy. I have a related question to the effectiveness of CAIs over just a cone filter bolted to the MAF. Is the difference in power gained enough to warrant worrying with routing the tube to the bottom of the engine, or is it like the minimal temp increase due to velocity inside the tube? I feel like it might be a very small help, and only when at WOT. Thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
lordy611 said:
Good analogy. I have a related question to the effectiveness of CAIs over just a cone filter bolted to the MAF. Is the difference in power gained enough to warrant worrying with routing the tube to the bottom of the engine, or is it like the minimal temp increase due to velocity inside the tube? I feel like it might be a very small help, and only when at WOT. Thoughts? :confused:
The best I can say to this is that dynoes have shown that a simple cone filter on the end of the VAF on the KL03 will cause a loss in power over stock. A CAI will dyno and yield a gain in power. (Keep in mind both changes are small. A couple of hp.) But with a N/A engine intake air temp is important. And the air in your engine bay gets awfully warm. FI cars are different sinec turbos heat the air up so much anyway.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
get your TB bored to 65mm and have something around 65mm piping or a little larger. Your VAF is 65mm and then your TB would be 65mm and your piping would be also. Very little turbulance and i all sounds good... on paper anyways... :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Take a straw. See how quickly you can drink a glass of water using it. (Beer if you prefer.)
I tried this experiment, and i had to perform it a few times, so that the results were not a fluke ( you know.... for the sake of science)
and the results were that i got hammered...

normally i would think that the smaller the intake tube, the faster the flow would be... forced induction or n.a. , but my question is "where does it need to be faster?" at the TB? The intake manifold is hotter than your intake tube anyways..

I agree with rylinkus
The intake runners are going to flow the same rates regardless of the intake piping size, so if the rates have to be faster at the valves, intake diameter size wont make a difference... try sucking air through a same-length straw or one that has a small lip opening and the gets bigger at the end... same thing....

Forgive my ignorance if i am missing the point

·
Registered
787 Posts
rylinkus said:
The best I can say to this is that dynoes have shown that a simple cone filter on the end of the VAF on the KL03 will cause a loss in power over stock. A CAI will dyno and yield a gain in power. (Keep in mind both changes are small. A couple of hp.) But with a N/A engine intake air temp is important. And the air in your engine bay gets awfully warm. FI cars are different sinec turbos heat the air up so much anyway.
So are you saying that (the way I was thinking) adding a CAI will only net a couple HP? If so, many modders should probably spend the $ on something else that will give more bang for the buck. A high flow cat or headers maybe?

·
Registered
182 Posts
So are you saying that (the way I was thinking) adding a CAI will only net a couple HP? If so, many modders should probably spend the $ on something else that will give more bang for the buck. A high flow cat or headers maybe?
Your statement is a bit generic. Each car will respond to mods differently. A probe GT can net a couple or hp (maybe up to 5 hp) whereas a RSX type s can net significantly more, since the rest of the intake track ( manifold, heads) is well designed.

Another thing i realized was that, just like an exhaust, the CAI changes the sound of your car. Maybe many modders like this "qualitative" attribute and are willing to spend 10-200 dollars on a CAI... Its cheaper than a cat back, and gives near the same hp increase (2-5 hp for CAI/ 2-10 hp for an cat back). +10 hp is quite generous in the case of our cars IMO.

Most people buy an exhaust for both the sound and the performance, and I think that the same can be said about a CAI.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
gunmetalpgt said:
Your statement is a bit generic. Each car will respond to mods differently. A probe GT can net a couple or hp (maybe up to 5 hp) whereas a RSX type s can net significantly more, since the rest of the intake track ( manifold, heads) is well designed.

Another thing i realized was that, just like an exhaust, the CAI changes the sound of your car. Maybe many modders like this "qualitative" attribute and are willing to spend 10-200 dollars on a CAI... Its cheaper than a cat back, and gives near the same hp increase (2-5 hp for CAI/ 2-10 hp for an cat back). +10 hp is quite generous in the case of our cars IMO.

Most people buy an exhaust for both the sound and the performance, and I think that the same can be said about a CAI.
To take it a step further, my ZE sees much larger gains from my breathing mods then my modded 03 had ever hoped. As do many cars with better designed heads, exhaust manis, and such. The cumulative gains from all the breathing mods are what we are truly looking for in this engine.

As for bang for your buck, I'll restate my opinion. My testpipe was the ABSOLUTE BEST bang for my buck mod I've done. Never have I done a mod and been so impressed with the improvement compared to investment. I wish I still had my cat so I could do side by side dynos. I paid 10 bucks in parts and half an hour making it. Even if I spent the 35-50 bucks it would cost to get a JJ one or have a muffler shop make one it would still without a doubt be the best mod for my money I've done. BUT..... My car sounds like hell now. It has a raspy sound I hate. I won't sacrifice half a HP of power for sound quality. But some people give the world for it. CAIs may not produce as much HP, but....
1. It's legal
2. It is easier to show off
3. It makes the car sound cooler in most people's opinions....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts