Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i think my sputtering problem can be fixed with my new fuel filter. anyone know where/how i put one in on a 4 cylinder??? i plan on doing this as soon as anyone posts :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
okay your gonna look under the hood from the driver side and look right under your cruise control unit and your air box (or where it would be). it looks like a silver canister. its about the size of a soup can. BEFORE you remove it, it might be a good idea to relieve your fuel pressure:D... this is easy. open up your fuse/relay box under your hood. pull out the fuel pressure regulator relay. it should be the green one. start up your car and it should run for a few seconds and then stall. then disconect your negative battery terminal. if you still have your airbox, you might wanna pull it out too. if you have a cone filter you should be able to get around it. have some duct tape handy (or something else to plug your fuel lines). get some pliers and take the clamps off the hoses, remove the hoses and plug them. now get your 10mm socket. youll see 2 nuts on a black bracket. loosen them both. look for an arrow on the filter and note its posisition as you pop out the filter. put the new one in (with the arrow in the same direction) and put everything back together. hook up your negative battery terminal, plug in your relay, turn your key to run and check for any leaks. if it looks good then start it up and take it for a test run. lemme know how it goes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i tried

well, i found it myself... before i saw your post! i finally got at the damn thing after i took the airbox off... but i didn't unclamp the hoses, due to the fact that it looked like the only way to access the bottom one was through the underside of the car. i went under the car, found the filter, but i couldnt loosen the clamp, too tight of a fit for pliers of any sort. is there any way to access the bottom clamp from the top of the car? thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
pliers of ANY sort??? :confused: dayum. they always wirked for me with a big set of linesman pliers (you know those ones with the big jaws and the wire cutters in the back?). squeeze down on it, rotate the clamp around the hose and work it off. if those arent working (b/c theyre slippin off) try vise grips. if you were trying to get that clamp from the underside of the car, i bet you had a fun time with the axle...hehehe. try from the top. they usually put the clamp grips on the opposite side of the battery. try these things and if they still dont work, lemme know. also dont forget to relieve fuel pressure!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts