Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad asked me what I want for christmas. My spending limit is approximately $130. Here are my ideas

-MSD 6A ignition
-Pacesetter headers
-New rear tires (the ones I have now arent bald, they're just really cheap and crappy).

My preference is to increase power. I'm a bit skeptical about performance mods on this car, as the car did have a pacesetter cat-back before and it made no difference. Is the MSD really worth it? How about the headers? All I have now is a K&N panel filter, and I dont plan on trying to make this car really fast, but a little more power wouldnt hurt. can anyone think of anything else I might be able to get for around $130?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Forget about the MSD until you start getting more heavily in to the mods, it won't really do much at this point. The headers would be a good idea but you are going to spend more than $130 for them and they are the cheapest headers out for the engine. Your best bet would be to get a cold air intake from either Hotshot or PRM. The intake on the engine is the most restrictive portion and you can free up some good power there. Not a ton but a few extra hp, and that's all you really can expect for just over $100. If you are more in to handling then you might want to look at a rear sway bar, but I think it'll cost more than $130.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a K&N dropin filter. What would be wrong with getting the MSD box? I have a N/A 2.2. I nam not really looking for much. Just something. From what I have been told the MSD box will help with bhp a little, as well as improve gass mileage.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Oh damn, I really should have looked at your signature before responding. Most of what I said is aplicably to the 2nd gen not the 1st. Still an upgraded ignition won't really do much for most cars until you have a fair amount of work done. The stock ignition systems are actually fairly good and will do the job until you have changed a lot. New plug and performance wires will help almost as much as the MSD and are more important since they are what the ignition signal has to travel through. If you have an MSD with bad wires you won't gain anything.
Again it really depends on what you want to do. If you are in to handling hten the tires or a rear sway bar would be best, if you are just looking for more power then the engine parts are better. You have to decide what you want for yourself though.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the way the car handles at the moment. I would like some sort of engine upgrade. I know someone on the Probe list, has the MSD box in his GL. He said that it did feel faster and gave him better fuel economy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or what about an underdrive pully? how much are they? And do you think I would like the results?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts