Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm kinda new with MX-6's, I'm a Jeep guy so....

I just bought a 93 saturday, and am interested in learning about lowering the car. I have seen Coilovers, and lowering springs, and honestly don't understand the difference.

Could someone please chime in and explain what the coil-over is, and what a lowering kit is, and the difference between the 2? Which is better, and what else is entailed in getting the kits? Do they both need need new struts on top of the kit, and what about a camber kit?

Thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
A lowering kit, I assume, would simply be springs and struts.

The difference between a lowering spring and a coilover, is that the spring is simply a spring, just like the stock one, that has a stiffer spring rate, and is somewhat shorter. Gives better handling, less body roll, better braking, whatever.

A coilover is a spring that has threaded sleeves at one end so that it is adjustable between a certain height. Good if you want to go low sometimes, high at others. You adjust them with some sort of special tool, and the car (or individual wheels) need to be in the air for this most of the time.

If you are looking for quality, in a spring, I highly recommend Eibach. In a coilover, Ground Control... anything else, especially in coilovers, and you are selling yourself short. Browse through these forums and you'll see countless examples of people who bought Dropzone coilovers and their cars didn't lower at all.

You will need new performance struts, designed to take the stiffer spring rates. You can also get adjustable struts to control the dampening from stiff to soft. Tokico Illuminas are 5-way adjustable, as I believe are KYB AGX and one make of a Koni strut, don't know which though. If you want non-adjustable as most people do, the best would be a Tokico Blue strut, KYB GR2's work well too.

You will also need a full alignment when you install them, and it would be recommended any time you adjust the height on a coilover as well.

Don't go the cheap route like many of the new members :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the info, I think I get it now. I'll stay away from the cheap ebay one's then.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the dropzone coilovers and I dont think they are bad.I got them for 160.If you get coil overs , I suggest you get a can of computer air duster to clean the threads so they dont get jammed up.Welcome to the club.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts