Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i need some experienced advise here. When i give my engine a good revving, like past 4.5-5k i get this nasty rattle/vibration sound coming from the engine bay, and i have a sinking feeling that its my engine/gearbox mounts on their way out. Anyone have any experience with this problem, and IF its the engine mounts, can i replace/fix them myself? Am fairly mechanically minded and have access to a haynes. Thanks guys.

f2

ps its NOT turbo shaft play! (thank god!)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i know 2 of my engine mounts are cracked...but when i rev it in neutral, it is smooth. if anything, the car will shake a bit at idle if ur engine mounts are stuffed.
if ur transmission mount is gone, u can test it by boosting it to around 4000rpm then suddenly letting offf the throttle. if u feel a jolt, u know ur mount is gone.

hope this helps mate :)

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Chuck it in first, pull the hand brake on .... with the bonnet open rev the engine while letting the clutch out. You will be able see the amount of movement in the engine and listen to any noise when you let off the throttle pretty suddenly.

When the mounts where gone on my old magna you could do this and hear pretty well the banging around, but not when it was in nuetral (not enough movement).

Otherwise, maybe suspension?
I take it that it doesn't do it in nuetral when not moving?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
it may well be just the heat shield on your exhaust retelling .. or..
I had a bolt in between the rear mount and the cross member making a very worrying noise.. just as free roaming (dropped bolt by some sh!ty mechanic to lazy to find it)

·
Registered
793 Posts
i had same prob with my 626, i think it should be your sump resting on the crossmember, your top stabiliser/mount is shagged, it lifts the motor up quite a bit, $45 from wreckers
check to see if there is a gap between your sump + cross member, sould be 1-2cms

1 - 5 of 5 Posts