Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '93 Mazda MX6 LS from a dealership (Carmax)
it passed their 100 point inspection. I had it for 2 weeks now and took it to a mechanic because of the squeeking brakes just begun, he checked it out and said the disc pads are new but the rotors were not machined prior to install. Should I contact the dealership and let them know or am I crapped out of luck ? I do feel they should of inspected it before putting the pads in there otherwise I have to pay $437.30 ..wheeew. Thanks for any help..Cool page by the way !

·
Registered
806 Posts
What exactly do they want to do for $437.30. You can take your own rotors off and have them turned for much cheaper than that. If they do not have enough left to turn, then you can get new rotors still for cheaper than that. If the rotors are grooved or anything you should get new pads also as they have probably mated with the messed up discs. Search this forum for "Calipers" and you will find that there are design problems with the rear calipers that you may be encountering also. Welcome to the board.

Xeon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've only had the car two weeks, go back to carmax and give them as much hell as humanly possible until they fix it for free. First of all, 437 is an unbelievably ridiculous number for any sort of brake work, second, TWO DAMN WEEKS! If you got it from an individual, yes you would be screwed. But carmax has a reputation to keep, so if you put on a big show at the dealership I have a feeling they'll fix your car. It really isn't that expensive to fix, and really a pittance for them to do it, not worth the trouble to deal with a pissed-off customer, plus the threat of letters to the bbb or whatnot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked brakes, got new tires

Well I took it back to the dealership and they were very willing to help in anyway, the brakes and rotors checked out fine ( the guy at SEARS was looking for a kickback I guess) but they found the tires to be alittle worn so they replaced all of them..hey, I am happy with what I got..guess it helps to let that little person in the back of your head to speak out every now and then. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
FWIW, AutoZone charges about $7 each to turn rotors; it's about a 15 minute job to get to the rotor. If you can get to the rotors, you can replace your own pads.

A typical DIY front brake job (provided rotors are sufficiently thick and can be machined) is about $50, depending on your brand of pads.

Tyson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts