Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chaps - driving in scotland through thick snow over christmas, noticed something hanging down under the front of the car.

thin plastic strip about 24 inches long, and about 2 inches wide connected by 2 screws across the front of the bottom of the engine.

Looks like a mini spoiler to divert airflow under the car. friend of mine called it a splitter?

guy at mazda garage wants £85 notes for a new one! any sugestions? do I really need it.

It might be my imagination but wind noise seems to have picked up at high speed.

thanks

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ive never had one on either of my 6's and ive never noticed a problem. Quite a few ppl at trax didnt have them either.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
On mine, it's the warning device that I have lowered my car })

It's the first thing that grounds over bumps. it's a wonder mine's still there.

John

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Simon

My guess is it trys to divert some cold air towards the engine bay. Its certainly not worth £85 !! You wont have any problems running without it.

I wouldnt call it a splitter - They usually fit to the bottom of the existing bumper, part of a body kit usually - Itll confuse ppl.

Get one from a scrappy if you prefer it :) - but as its pretty much never seen and its function is at best a guess id just say hey ho and think of something else to spend ya cash on :)

G

·
Registered
300 Posts
G you are right no use in having this little 85 pound cosmetic stip on the car - lost mine a while ago while driving on a very bad gravel road. Never bothered to replace it and it make no diff on the car.

Simon I suggest you forget about it unless you really want to replace it - your desicion mate.

Cheers
William

1 - 6 of 6 Posts