Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m desperate.....bought a 1989 Mazda MX6 Turbo, standard with low miles....got a good deal only to find out that it needs a new rack & pinion. Cant find one, had the old one sent out to get re-built in Winnipeg and it came back saying they could not do it. Sent it down to the USA to Cardone, only to find out they could not do it. The car is up on a hoist at a local shop and now I‘m screwEd. May have to leave it there to pay shop fees. Any help would be very appreciated...can anyone help me find a new or rebuilt rack and pinion for this 1989 Mazda MX6, standard transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Cardone states they rebuild the darn things and they returned it? What was so wrong with it that they couldn't do it? I'll keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I’m desperate.....bought a 1989 Mazda MX6 Turbo, standard with low miles....got a good deal only to find out that it needs a new rack & pinion. Cant find one, had the old one sent out to get re-built in Winnipeg and it came back saying they could not do it. Sent it down to the USA to Cardone, only to find out they could not do it. The car is up on a hoist at a local shop and now I‘m screwEd. May have to leave it there to pay shop fees. Any help would be very appreciated...can anyone help me find a new or rebuilt rack and pinion for this 1989 Mazda MX6, standard transmission.
I don't know where you can get a new or remand GT rack. I can sell you a used GT rack with no pinion play.

They can't rebuild a rack and pinion assembly if the there are missing teeth or broken parts inside the rack.
My ex girlfriends 91 626 lx auto had a screwed up rack, there was play at both wheel like both inner tie rods where shot, changed both inner and outer tie rods and the play was still there, if two people pulled on the wheels at the same time they could both pull the wheel out 1/4" at the same time, if the main tooth assembly was broken then at a certain point when turning only one wheel would move the other would not be controlled by the steering but this wasn't the case.
Pulled the rack out of my 88 626lx auto and installed it, drilled the spindle holes for the outer tie rods larger to fit the Aspec outer tie rods and the car drove perfectly and didn't need an alignment.

·
Registered
1991 MX6 LX
12 Posts
Not sure how steep the shop fees are but I'd be renting a u-haul trailer and borrowing a buddy with a pickup to get it home.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey there I don't know if you are still looking for a new rack but I got one from autovalue in calgary 2 years ago for $390. It's remanufactured I guess but mine worked out fine. They did have to order it in but it wasn't a huge hassle. I would do inner and outer tie rods at the same time as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts