Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going down the road and she died. wouldn't start back up. i replaced the coil and the fuel pump. still nothing. there is power going to the coil but nothing coming out. someone told me the ingition control moduel, but i dont know. im not real fimilar with this car so im pretty much lost. 89 mx6. thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
why did you replace the coil and fuel pump? what did you do to troubleshoot that lead you to replacing them? it could be your distributor is fuxor3d. it could be anything.

motor needs 3 things to fire. air, fuel and spark. figure out which one your not getting first and go from there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well they guy i bought the car from had no idea what was going on. this thing hasn't been touched that i know of. they needed to be replaced anyway. and yes i did all the basics. i was planing on replacing the fuel punp either way. it is getting fuel but no spark. i put the new disty in today but ran out of daylight. so tom im going to see if i can get it running and set the time. i still dont know how to get codes from this thing though.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
i had a similar problem, check the code, here's a link showing you how....

here, try this link...http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-ele...what-they.html (1st Gen FAQ: How to check the ECU Codes. And what are they?)

my problem ended up being a code 1 : no spark being received, i had too many problems with the car after it had got rear ended, so i had to get rid of it. upon more research, apparently it's your harness that needs to be repaired, probably the wire that leads to the igniter. good luck with this. post your results once you get the code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i replaced the disty and once i got the firing order right she runs. engine light came on a couple of times but now is off. the link posted wont work. do you have another one? id still like to know how to get freakin codes from this thing.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i got it runnin. but..........when its cold it wont hold an idle. when it warms up, it still spits and sputters. i have to keep the idle high (around 1000 to 1300 rpm) to keep it running. took it to a mech and he said the spark is good, maybe the compression is low. havent had the chance to check it yet but will this week. Now here's the kicker, when i first fired it up i had the firing order wrong. it backfired so bad it split the resinator under th intake pipe. and after 3 days of being turned over and not running when it did start there way oil coming out from the header flange. ssssoooooooooooooo. i think im just gonna rebuil the whole damn thing. its got 206xxx mi on it so i think its time. and suggestions are a plus. thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts