Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help removing the pasenger side cv shaft from the half shaft,(MTX)
ive searched and read how people have pried it out or used a hammer, but
where do you pry? theres no room to swing a hammer (jackstands)
any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
245 Posts
Stick the prybar in between the int. shaft bearing and the cv base (the big steel cup on the end). Simply pry away. It can be a pita, but it does come out. You can try turning it while prying, that seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
you should be able to tap it with a hammer quite easily. The intermediate shaft brings it away from the tranny so you have room. If your jackstands are in the way then move them somewhere else :shrug:

Pull on it and tap the base lightly with a hammer .. .it will come out quite easily...much easier than the drivers side thats for sure

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive tried prying and all im doing is damaging the bearing edge, its the exhaust thats in the way not the jackstands. ive also tried tieing a rope around it and using a weight to pull it off almost like a slide hammer and still nothing . i dont know what else to do!
am i missing something? need more help!!
thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
316 Posts
the only advice i can give is to keep tugging on the CV until it rips apart at the boot and then take the halfshaft out with the CV base still attatched. clean the grease and other shit out of there and you should see a little round cover in the middle, take the cover off and go to a machine shop and have the CV base pressed out. i had to do this once so i know it does work. or you could just take the whole CV and halfshaft out and replace them both, considering how much BS you've already gone through that might be your best option, maybe try a junkyard for the half shaft. Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks eon_blu, thats what ill do, at least ill feel like im making some progress instead of just tugging at it all day with no pay-off (hee-hee)
Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
No prob, i'm glad i could help. *Cough*karma*Cough* haha

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Stick the prybar in between the int. shaft bearing and the cv base (the big steel cup on the end). Simply pry away. It can be a pita, but it does come out. You can try turning it while prying, that seems to help a bit.
couldn't of said it better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts