Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 5door turbo ...manual trans
105K miles.. runs great until now...
Notes... turbo rebuilt 2 years ago.. started to get the CEL from time to time 1 1/2 years ago not on acceleration but usually when I let off the gas.. came up 16 .. EGR... took it off and did a fast clean, checked for corrosion on the connections and checked the vacuum lines to see if any apparent leaks.. Didn't affect the car at all so I let it go.. CEL comes on from time to time since then...
Speedo died a couple of months ago... probably the cable.. except for the power steering feeling a bit strange, not a big deal...
Radiator replaced about a month ago.. no problems.. THEN...
Driving home Friday night running steady 4000 rpm in fourth. All of a sudden it started sputtering like it was gonna conk out. managed to get it home running lo rpms..
Checked coolant level .. full...
Checked the hoses from the air cleaner to the TB.. nothing loose.. checked all the vaccum lines I could see.. nothing popped off..
Checked CEL again just in case.. now it reads 9 and 16... engine coolant temp sensor...
Took it out today.. same problem on boost and general lack of power but twice it went up to 1500 rpm at stops then back down to the usual 750 or so... wierd... also driving back it started stuttering at "normal" rpms..
Back in garage I noticed a trail of black stuff on the floor assumed to be from the tailpipe earlier .. searching seems to lead me to the engine temp sensor which I believe is the only two lead sensor near the thermostat. It supposedly makes the engine run rich cause it thinks it's still cold? Do the facts fit the crime?
I'll head on down to NAPA tomorrow am to see if they have one ... any inout would be appreciated...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from NAPA with the sensor... funny thing they said the turbo motor shows 2 water temp sensors .. one had std threads and the other metric ?? I picked the metric.. I'll find out in a couple of minutes... hope this works.. I assume I'll have to do the ECU reset procedure after I replace it..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if anyone gets the 09 code on a 90 626 turbo motor.. and it ain't the wiring...

NAPA # TS5520 Temperature Sender

·
Registered
90 Posts
90626GT said:

NAPA # TS5520 Temperature Sender
What the heck is that?

I think I might have the same problem with my 626 - the temperature gauge isn't working and i don't think it's caused by any miswiring. perhaps the coolant?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey fasturbo... there's at least three temp senders by the thermostat... one goes to the computer.. one goes to the fan and the other goes to the temp gauge.. the one to the computer died so the computer ran rich cause it thought the engine was still cold... gave a 9 on the check engine light test.. I'll take a look tomorrow night if I can see which one is the gauge sensor... you could try replacing it to see if that's what's wrong..

BTW what are ya driving?

·
Registered
90 Posts
hmm..replace the temperature gauge sensor? that seems reasonable enough. how much do you think it will cost to replace it or buy a new one? but i have to see which wire it is otherwise i may replace the wrong one.

my car is a 1988 626 GT Sedan, manual trans. - one of the rarest cars out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts