Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, you been a huge help to me so far in the two-three weeks since I joined but here is where I need your most help.

I really screwed up my tranny (auto on 93 V6)!!!

Here is how it acts - when I put it in park (the lever) it acts as if in reverse, while the dash also says that it is the reverse gear. Now when trying to shift all the way down to L it stops at S (the lever) and the dash again reads L. It is acting as if the base of the lever was pushed up and all the gears moved one spot down.

I was looking it up in the Haynes (spelling??) manuel for our car and it says that there is a cable that needs adjustment and a screw under the car on the tranny itself that also needs adjustment. It says that the screw on the tranny and the lever cable just have to be realined.

A couple questions now: Is it safe to drive like this? If I do drive the car will I be risking more damage? Has anyone had this problem before? If yes, how much did it cost you to fix? And if in the Toronto area, where?

I have never had problems with it before and had the car since September. For all stick drivers, sorry about buying an auto: I need one hand on the wheel, on holding the cell and the other around my girl! Not even enough hands for that, yet alone a stick shift.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys won't let me down.

Halim

G

·
0 Posts
Tranny problems...

The problem you desribed is a small one. Don't worry about taking it to the shop if you are mechanically inclined. If youare and you have the Haynes manual, the procedure for repairing this starts on page 7B-4 Section 4, Part 24. The procedure you described is a little different then the one I read. All you have to do is remove the center console, move the shifter in to the position where "Park" is indicated on the console, remove the shift position indicator mounting screws, slide the lock cover back (the slide lock cover is the square piece covering the end of the the connector that ties onto the shift lever) and pull the little tab out (called the set button) then move the shift lever all the way forward into the correct Park position, push the set button in and then slide the lock back into place. THen all you have to do is put the position indicator back on then re-install the center console, then you are done. It can be done in less time than it took me to type this. The only mechanical skills neccassary are to pull the console and operate a screwdriver. If you don't feel sure, or if this doesn't answer your question, it should cost less than $100 to get fixd at any tranny shop or at the Mazda dealer. If need any illustration on how to do this, let me know, I'll get them right to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Scooter. I'll try doing it myself as soon as possible, unfortunately it will have to be in at least a week since i am going on vacation. I only have two questions for you. how about the nut under the car on the actual tranny, doesn't that need adjusting? (I read that in the Haynes manuel section 7B). two: Is it safe to drive now? or am I messing with it further. (sorry three questions!)

thanks alot for your help.

Halim

G

·
0 Posts
Your questions...

First, the bolt you are referring to is mentioned in the section on adjusting the transaxle range sensor. What you want to do is adjust the shift cable. The range sensor only needs to be adjusted if both of the indicators (on the shifter and on the dash) indicate what gear you have selected (if the shifter was in the "Park" position and P is indicated on both the dash and on the shifter, and the acts as if in Reverse, but in your situation, the shifter is in the "Park" position and the indicator on the shifter indicates "Park" and the dash indicator indicates reverse and the car acts as if in reverse) It sounds confusing even to me but I'm positive that only the shift cable has to be adjusted. If the Range sensor needed adjustment, the shifter would be able to move the full range, but just selecting the wrong gear.

Second, as long as you are aware of the improper indication and don't shift you car into Park and forget that Park is actually Reverse then it is perfectly safe to operate.

Third, the problem is not something that gets worse with operation. As long you stay aware of the fact that your selcetor is wrong, you shouldn't have any other problems. The only way you could mess things up worse is if you were to forget that Park is actually reverse and inadvertantly reverse in to something, causeing damage to your back bumper and maybe even your wallet. :D. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. If this procedure doesn't remedy the situation, there might be bigger problems that require the services of a mechanic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts