Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys havent been on in a while. But anyways i have a problem i get in my car last night cold start also. Anyways im driving along and i have the radio up and then i turn it down and by now the engine is all the way warm and i can hear a tapping sound it sounded like a mis but i wasnt sure what was wrong anyways continued to drive. Then this morning i get in it and drive to school i didnt notice the noise but then when i leave school about an hour ago didnt notice a noise until the car got warm. So i get to work and check it out my oil is slightly low is that good enough reason for a tap like that and i can tell its coming from up top Thanks ryan

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Check for oil leaks, like valve cover gaskets. Valves will make some noise when low on oil.

·
Registered
578 Posts
When last have you done an oil change?

Thinner oil, together with the low level will assist in creating the tappet clatter.

When hot, oil becomes thinner (look up viscosity for a better explanation) and will no longer work the way it should. Same goes for older oil.

Having said that, you mention it sounds like a miss-fire? Is it a miss or does it just sound that way? If it is a missfire, check the HT leads as well as your spark plug wells where oil may have seeped in, wetting the plugs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
gotta love hlas! haha I'd also be sure to run synthetic as it seems to help quiet the hlas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts