Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought those white gauge faces off of Ebay. Now I am reading on here and realizing that the light won't come through them. Putting different colored lights in the dash sounds interesting too. Should I even put these faces on? How can I make it look good? Any color ideas?

·
Registered
235 Posts
OK before I even buy any guages here's the question on my mind. How do you get the guage cluster out/apart. I can get the console part off but when I tried to take out the guage cluster I couldn't find any screw to take off the clear plastic cover or figure out how to pull it out with out breaking somin. I looked in my manual but it didn't help (Hanes) hope some one can clear this up for me.

Pyro
89 LX

G

·
I hade this idea a will ago ok. if the l;ight dosent come through the face gage just go to your local parts store and see if they have the neon wireing it glowes many diffrent colors and just put it around the sides and have it hacked up to your switch so when you turn your lights on they will come on too. I havent tried it but it sounds like it might work and look cool too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get the Light Through!

OK, here's what you do. Go to your local hardware store or Farm&Fleet or whatever and get some plexi-glass the same thickness of your old gauges. Cut out the plexi-glass in the same shape and stick 'em in instead of the old gauges with the white overlays on top. Then you can switch your bulbs to whatever color you want and you have an almost indiglo look. To get the cluster out of the car, you have to disconnect the tachometer cable from the doghouse of the car. It is located right by the firewall and has a coupler in the middle which you can screw off. When you get the cluster out, there are three screws on the bottom and three tabs which will allow you to remove the clear glass. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Taking the guages out:
Pyro: The point where you got stuck...the clear plastic is part of the black plastic made of holes for the guages and that row of lights with the brake light on it. You have to take the whole cluster out of the dash before doing anything. There are two screws on top of the cluster, and one on the bottom in the middle of the row of blubs (the guages are facing away from you at this point). The the two big pieces seperate and everything will become clear. Special hint...disconnect the speedo cable from the tranny before pulling the cluster out. If not you will damage the speedo head. Then disconnect the two wire harnesses on the tach side of the cluster, then the speedo cable on the right.

N9M: I had the guages in before. They shine fine at night because of the optical plastic that carries light to the front of the guage faces, and they still show light through the back.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Directions

i dont want to sound rude, but did you read the directions that came with them? i think the only step that was missing was disconnecting the spedo cable from the tranny.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah those directions are pretty acurate except for the speedo cable part...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No - I haven't read the directions yet. I haven't even gotten them. I was just wondering how they will look at night.

·
Registered
235 Posts
how do I disconect the speedo cable. I'm still kinda confused on the directions, but I'll re-read them when I have everything off and in front of me. The only part I don' understand is about "(the guages are facing away from you at this point)" that kinda confuses me but I'll try it out none the less. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
287 Posts
When you have the cluster out, and you're looking at the back of it...that means the guages are facing away from you...

The speedometer cable attaches to teh top of the transmission. There is a screwing cap that connects two parts of it about 1-1/2 feet from the firewall. Teh cable is just on the left side of the main fuse box on the top of the firewall in the engine compartment.

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts