Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my car has been quiet for too long. I have a trust catback exhaust (stainless steel), but I'm going to put it on my fiance's acura integra. She'd rather be quiet than loud. What is the deepest and loudest exhaust that I can put on my 95 MX6? I want people to stare when I crank up. Don't all reply at the same time.

compound00

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
wow.. exhausts.. there are so many too choose from!!! first of all the piping is what matter... i suggest hollowing ur cat if it is legal in ur state, next widen ur piping to let more air flow through, next i would slap a Y connector at the end and then make a dual exhaust set up for twice the NOISE!!! now lets talk muffler choices... Greddys a big player which is extremely loud, but up here in canada i reccomend Brullen or arospeed to make heads turn... as long as air can flow through and u have sufficient back pressure then the muffler will be suppled with the rushing air to make the exhuas LOUD... the piping is what matters... also i can suggest glass packs...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks speedstar, but switching my underpiping I'm afraid
is just going to make me loose power. Every thing we do
to 2nd gen v6's makes us loose power. with the exception of
super c,turbo,or nitro or programming the computer.Has either of these mufflers you named been heard on an mx-6
v6 or a 6 cylinder. Of course you no you can't listen to the exhaust on a prelude and expect it to sound the same on an mx-6 v6. Are there any comments on Brullen,which I've personally never heard of, Greddy, or Arospeed from you fellow mazda lovers out there????Hit me back!!!!
Compound00
P.S. Don't all reply at the same time,
HEEE HEEE!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
bro i have a 1993 mx6 v6 and i have a naxos dtm full piping and it is very loud, i recommend it also greedy and apexi

G

·
0 Posts
Why does everybody say Greedy? It's Greddy darnit! :D Greddy is the same thing as Trust. Were you going to put just the muffler onto your fiancees Integra? If so you've already got the wider cat-back piping (2.5 inch) on there.

The larger diameter piping has been shown to gain hp over stock piping on our cars. 2.5 inch isn't much wider so you don't lose low-end torque, but it frees up the top-end hp quite a bit. Overall exhaust gets you about 5-7 hp depending on your setup. A lot of that may come from getting rid of the resonator though. Anyways, most people who got aftermarket exhaust has shown a gain.

W

·
0 Posts
I have the stock pipe minus the pre-silencer with an Apexi Dunk universal muffler, and it is definitely loud. If you are trying to get noticed, that setup will definitely do it, looks good too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You want loud? Try what I did, replce the stock muffler with a glass pack muffler. 2 1/4 piping and a nice 4 inch tip. I honestly think it may be too loud but it was much cheaper than buying a greddy or borla.

G

·
0 Posts
Why not just do what i did?

NOT GOOD ON CAR IN LONG RUN BUT:

STRAIGHT PIPE!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
So your trust is to quite? how much louder than stock is it? i'm looking for and exhaust that isn't to lound.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Moving to 2nd Gen Performance Forum

·
Registered
543 Posts
willmx6 said:
Why does everybody say Greedy? It's Greddy darnit! :D Greddy is the same thing as Trust. Were you going to put just the muffler onto your fiancees Integra? If so you've already got the wider cat-back piping (2.5 inch) on there.

The larger diameter piping has been shown to gain hp over stock piping on our cars. 2.5 inch isn't much wider so you don't lose low-end torque, but it frees up the top-end hp quite a bit. Overall exhaust gets you about 5-7 hp depending on your setup. A lot of that may come from getting rid of the resonator though. Anyways, most people who got aftermarket exhaust has shown a gain.
you would be lucky to gain 1-4 hp with a catback regardless of the set up. Stick with the stock pipe, it isnt worth the $300+ for such a small amount of hp.

·
Registered
475 Posts
MX-6 BOY jr said:
you would be lucky to gain 1-4 hp with a catback regardless of the set up. Stick with the stock pipe, it isnt worth the $300+ for such a small amount of hp.

[/B]
I agree, keep the stock pipe and save the money.

·
Registered
932 Posts
After much time thinking. I have decided to go with a flowmaster 80 series with dual outlets. So I will get that dual exhaust i've been wanting :). It's actually made for the Camaro and Trans Am's but works nicely for custom aps. I heard one on a Probe the other day next to a stang GT. The probe was not only louder but even had a sense of deepness! People will think a 4.6 transplant is under your hood! I'm keeping the stock piping removing cat and mandrel bending all the tubing i'm adding! NOW JUST IF I KNEW WHAT TO DO FOR TIPS! :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
how can you say it isn't worth the money? isn't that what is the most important in the grand scheme of things? whoever wants to spend the most on his toy to make it a bigger meaner toy than the next guy is the winner!

·
Registered
543 Posts
It may make it sound meaner and faster, but such a small amount of hp on a car that weighs nearly 3000 lbs is not going to help you. Stick with the stock piping and go for a louder muffer.
MY manga flow http://www.magnaflow.com is a great sounding muffler especialy on our v6 motors. It almost sound ferrari like. I bought mine for only $130 installed.
if you really want to see preformace gains, than start looking into making your own or buying a cold air intake, anywhere from $50 to 250, aand you will get 4-6hp. Also some headers will increase hp by 5-8 startign from $210.

[Edited by MX-6 BOY jr on 03-04-2001 at 05:51 PM]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts