Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i want a new muffler for the most part for looks and a little bit of sound. The thing is i have seen guys with Probes around here and they have the muffler stlye i like but you can hear them from like a half mile away. the muffler style i want is something like this:
http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorstreet.htm
Its the first muffler #14801

I don;t want a muffler that is really lound i want one that is a little bit deeper and maybe a little bit louder when you get on it. I want something of the style i have posted. Not one of those mufflers that are like 4 inchs big with a sclincer in the middle.
any info would help [email protected]

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hmm

I think that is the one that i got just recently...

It really sounds kewl on my v6 mtx.... A nice low tone when idleing and sounds like a power house when ya gunn it real nice. I like it alot anf I am very happy with it!

drop a line if you have anyother questions about it :)
thx

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: hmm

The magna flow is the same muffler I have. It sounds almost like a ferrari, not to high pitched, but just mean sounding. I bought mine from MR MUFLER (its a national chain) for $130 installed. I also bought a resonator for $50 installed to mellow out the sound as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
resonator ? what is that and what does it do? it mellows it out as in makeing it alittle more quite?
Thanks for you replied guys!!!! SO it a real lound muffler?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Where can you buy a resonator for my stock pipe with a straight through muffler on the end. i was thinking about get a Weapon R one from a buddy for a good deal. and i dont want it all loud can some one hit me up with some info thanks guys. later

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I found this my self, it was in Summit Racing. Thrush Glasspack, let me make sure this is how this is used. this will go around your pipe and this will maek i a softer soft to it not as loud, right or wrong. if wrong what do i need to get for my stock pipe. stock pipe is 2.25right or wrong.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I know the mx6 already has a stock resonator right after the cat, but can you put on another resonator like right after the first one? or maybe right behind the muffler?
I've never seen this done but I assume that it would be possible

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does the resonator put a damper on your performance at all? I'm wanting a new muffler but i don't want it to be real lound and the guys on this thread said i could put a resonator on and it would mellow the sound out. So do you mean making it a little more quite? i still want a little bit of a deep tone.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Basically the resonator is not a muffler, in the fact that it doesn't muffle the sound like a muffler would. I think it just slows down the air going through it. I imagine since it makes it quieter and restricts airflow, that performance would decrease a little bit. Lets say the muffler you are getting adds 5 bhp, if u put on resonator probably 2-3 bhp would be lost so you would still end up gaining a little.

(oh yeah I'm a senior racer now!! Score!!)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
yes the exhaust note will be softer, by a little. the factory resonator sounds good on mine( used too). i have the stock pipe and the HKS Dragger muffler. the muffler without the resonator and no cat. it is a little to loud for me. but with just the resoator it sounded really good( deep and just loud enough).

i am now looking for a new muffler: either the Weapon R or the Apexi muffler or the Trust muffler( that is like the Greddy right).

what size pipe should i go with 2.25 or 2.5?stock it 2.25right?
with or with out resonator?
i will put the cat back on so that will make it a little less loud.

i will sell the HKS muffler i have i bought it for about $215, i will take some pics of it and sell it once i get the new one i want and the set up i want to have. help me out guys.
i was looking for the most HP gain but not that loudest exhaust on the street either. thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought 2" was stock. Anyway I would go with the largest piping you could get, in this case 2.5. To cut down noise put on the cat and keep the resonator. That should leave you with a considerable hp increase, a nice very deep tone, but not overpoweringly loud (like mine.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to go with the stock pipe because all i can afford is the muffler but i just don't want it to be really loound i just want a little bit more of a deeper tone and maybe (maybe) a little bit more of soound when i get on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How about this muffler...

http://www.cgocable.net/~taradys/muffler.jpg

The muffler is a "Ractive".

I got it for about $350 dollars(canadian) with installation at a local "Midas".

And the best thing about it is the shape conforms with the cut out in the bumper. It looks like 100% factory made. And the sound is excellent, not to loud but you still know thats its there. Oh and the resonator was still installed. I guess if you took off the resonator it would be much louder. And another good thing about it is that you can't hear it at highway speeds if you keep your throttle constant.

Diesel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts