Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a 89 mx6 gt turbo and i and the gear pops out when i shift into fifth gear and just shifting in general is a bit iffy and im just trying to figure out if its the clutch, the servos, or the full tranny and where to get the parts but more info when the car is idle a weird noise can be heart from the trans when in neurula

Registered
If you push the clutch pedal down all the way. Does the noise go away? Or get worse? Or stay the same?

If you push the clutch pedal down just enough to take up the "free play" in the pedal. Does the noise go away? Or get worse? Or stay the same?

Thanks 馃槉

Registered
Popping out of 5th gear is usually worn 5th gear synchros and fork inside the transmission.
The iffy shifting in general could be something else.
You say the clutch pedal has a lot of travel.
With the engine off, hold the brake pedal so the car doesn't move, move the shifter through the gears. If it shifts smoothly through the gears the iffy shifting is not in the transmission.
With the engine off, while holding the brake pedal, pump the clutch pedal several times and see if it gets any stiffer. If it does, put the transmission in neutral, start the car, pump the clutch pedal until it's stiff, hold it to the floor and move the shifter into different gears. If it shifts into gears better after pumping the pedal than there is a leak in the clutch master, slave or line.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Popping out of 5th gear is usually worn 5th gear synchros and fork inside the transmission.
The iffy shifting in general could be something else.
You say the clutch pedal has a lot of travel.
With the engine off, hold the brake pedal so the car doesn't move, move the shifter through the gears. If it shifts smoothly through the gears the iffy shifting is not in the transmission.
With the engine off, while holding the brake pedal, pump the clutch pedal several times and see if it gets any stiffer. If it does, put the transmission in neutral, start the car, pump the clutch pedal until it's stiff, hold it to the floor and move the shifter into different gears. If it shifts into gears better after pumping the pedal than there is a leak in the clutch master, slave or line.
ima test that real quick and when i say iffy shifting the shifter has a lot of wiggle room in gear from memory

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i tested it out so the clutch petal it does not get stiffer so its not a leak but after rolling through the gears i did notice thats its a bit crunchy when shifting and that when i shift into gears that im still able to wiggle to shifter side to side idk if thats normal or not and when i wiggle it in neurula that its also a bit crunchy but that all the data i can get rn

Registered
so i tested it out so the clutch petal it does not get stiffer so its not a leak but after rolling through the gears i did notice thats its a bit crunchy when shifting and that when i shift into gears that im still able to wiggle to shifter side to side idk if thats normal or not and when i wiggle it in neurula that its also a bit crunchy but that all the data i can get rn
Sounds like the shift assembly bushings are worn out or missing.
There are two at each end of the change rod. 4 in total.
You will need to replace these before trying to diagnose any other issues with the transmission, worn shifter bushing can cause difficult shifting and incomplete gear engagement.

Part numbers:
Mazda original: B00146062
Mazda substitution: GA5R46062
Hyundai/Kia: B00146062 (cheapest)
Hyundai/Kia sub: KKY0146062 (cheapest)
Hyundai/Kia sub 2: MB00146062

1 - 8 of 8 Posts