Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, I've owned my 2nd gen 4WS 6 for almost a year now and I love it, but have never been much of a fan of the stock rims.. Pretty sure they are 15x7's and I wanna chuck on a set of 17's and I have a few questions..

How wide can I go with new wheels without modifying anything?
Whats a pratical width to go for the 17's (as most I find are 17x7 or 17x8) that wont rub on the front OR the back (being 4WS)?

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
If it's a GE1, wheels will be 15x6.
GE2 are 15 x 6.5.

17x7 with a 40-45 profile tyre will go on fine, 17x8's I'm not too sure - probably just need to be wary of the profile when selecting a tyre. I know jmoore had some issue with 18x8's, think it was solved with a lower profile tyre and some spacers as they hit the struts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that dmwill! :tup::)

So the 17x7's won't be too wide even with the 4WS?? Because that's my main concern.. And I shall change the tyre profile so that the the tyres are the same size so the car doesn't get any higher and put out the speedo, etc..

I am just asking as I was in at a wheel place the other day and they had a set of rims I liked but they thought they wouldn't fit of which I'm sure were 17x7..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i think the 4ws has wider archers which should eliminate a lot of the problems that i had.

·
Registered
752 Posts
my wheels are 17x8 with +35mm offset and i run 215/45r17 tyres and i don't have any problems, they are AU > falcon wheels

·
Registered
426 Posts
and i have 17x8 rims with 215/45/17 tyres with an offset of +52... but i have 1" spacers all round (with studs of course) and it all fits fine with my 4WS n being dropped 2" on king springs (sigh). never rubs or anything. without spacers id have 1mm clearance not taking into account any camber effects when lowered etc.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Width issues is all to do with offset

Example is above Stealth's 626 using wrong offset - so he needs spacers.

Look or aim for a 40mm offset. And 8inch should wide will clear on 2nd gen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts