Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 88 mx6 turbo i was wandering can i put 18's on it with out any problems. please help send pic. or info please:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
18s? doesnt' that see alittle exsessive.... just an opinion. but you just end up spending a fortune of rims and tires that should be on a BIG muscle car, or even an suv... i dunno i just don't follow the whole big rim thing i guess... But PLEASE no 13" wires w/ white walls that extrude form the wheel well about 3"... :) some cell phone antenna's.. you guys ever been to:

www.beaterz.com awesome site, tobad they stopped updating it though...

·
Registered
238 Posts
We like 10 inch tires two feet from the spindle. Adds "character". Gives that "you no hahv dee ballz tu du dis, ohmz" look of arrogance. Very cool indeed.

18' inch rims? I can see the desire, but can't see it being posssible on a stock setup without modification. I have 17" rims with a 40 series sidewall and my tire is barely (I mean barely) clearing the struts in the rear. I am lucky to not have the front tires rubbing the lower a-arm when turning (thanks to wheel spacers).

If you do decide to try and fit 18s, better do the math. Yer gonna need some BIG spacers. These spacers and the wheel/ tire combination's dimensionsare going to possibly cause your front tires to rub parts of the suspension when turning and/ or during suspension travel (i.e. bumps). The added offset of these spacers are gonna cause premature wear on your wheel bearings as well (although, I think they'll hold up for a fairly long time).

If yer gonna go with 18s, why not just run wit sum dub deuces? My cousin has some on his Monte Carlo. He has to get a good angled headstart at any turn he plans on making. I think it'd be nice (funny ass hell) to see a riced-out bling bling 6.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Ah, this subject again. It seems to come up once every year, and everyone says "they wont fit!" but they haven't even done the calculations or looked into it. Try a search and you find some results.

18's WILL FIT no problem! You just need the right size tire and a 42mm offset or less. The tire size and rim offset are critical to clear the rear struts (there is TONS of room in the front) so you won't need spacers. You'll need something that's 215mm or less in width, and as close to the stock diameter as possible. 215/35/18 has been done...I've seen it myself on a 90-92 LX and an 88-89 626 LX. The 215/35/18 is actually smaller than stock diameter. Here's a classic '6 with 18's:

While I think 18" rims look awesome, there are a few drawbacks:

1.) Tires are $100-150 a piece
2.) Ride will be a bit more harsh.

I've got 17's on my '6 and I think they are the perfect size. The 215/45/17's I have are slightly bigger than the stock diameter. They just barely fit in the back, but they do not rub at all!

·
Registered
78 Posts
not only harsh, but remember, your spedo is geared with 15s in mind... so your spedo will be behind... your car will also be alittle more sluggish, higher top speed but slow off the line, normaly this would not be noticable, but increasing the rim size by 20% is a pretty dramatic increase.

I have to say Darion... we had a honda in the shop... guy had 21"s on it... guess what he was in for.... fixing the fenders that bowed out and the quarters.... this was caused from rubbing, exsessive!! we just called it the off road honda... it looked terrible... but man if you can pull off 18s and have it work good and look right... awesome, do it!! but bare in mind the problems you will be dealing with "just to look alittle more cool"

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I am lucky to not have the front tires rubbing the lower a-arm when turning (thanks to wheel spacers).
You had to put spacers on to your rims/tires wouldnt rub. Mine dont rub and I have 205/40/17's. With my Intrax springs the stock wheels would rub in the front fender.

I've got 17's on my '6 and I think they are the perfect size. The 215/45/17's I have are slightly bigger than the stock diameter. They just barely fit in the back, but they do not rub at all!
How in the hell did you fit 215's in the rear. Do the GT's have rear shocks or struts?? I know 215's wont fit on my car. I can just squeeze my finger in between the rear tire with my 205's. The 4WS have rear struts though.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
natedawg191 said:
not only harsh, but remember, your spedo is geared with 15s in mind... so your spedo will be behind...
Rim size is insignificant. It's the overall tire size and diameter that will effect the speedometer. As long as you get the right tires, the speedo should be ok.

How in the hell did you fit 215's in the rear. Do the GT's have rear shocks or struts?? I know 215's wont fit on my car. I can just squeeze my finger in between the rear tire with my 205's. The 4WS have rear struts though.
There are some slight differences between the 88-89, 90-92, and 4ws struts. Some have more clearance and some do not (they are all similar MacPhereson strut designs, though). My car does have an unknown brand of aftermarket struts (not stock AAS) so that might give me more clearance. Manifest was able to fit 225/50/15's with 90-92 probe AAS struts. Have you actually tried 215/45/17's on the rear with a 42mm or less offset rim? Or are you just guessing?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
No I havent tried it. I just didnt think it would fit. I was going to get 215/40's but there not cheap tires. I guess its a odd tire size.

88Mx6GT is running 225/?/16's and he doesnt have any rubbing either.

I guess it depends on the year like you said. Thats kinda odd

·
Registered
737 Posts
The speedo is geared for the overall diameter of the tire+rim, that may be, let's say 25" with the stock rim/tire. With 18" rims with the low profile tires the overall diameter may be 25.5". So there obviously being a difference, the gearing and the speedo may not be all too different. These are just instances, not actual figures

·
Registered
78 Posts
well obviously if the total is is equal to the stock size the spedo will be correct... but i find it hard to believe that even with the lowest profile tire on an 18, it would still be larger... but again.. I may be wrong considering i failed math in highschool and, well yea... i hate math!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well sirs... I suppose I left too many variables open in this post.. Lesson learned....

When I said they wouldn't fit, I didn't take into consideration the various sizes of 18" rims out there. My mistake. I assumed he would have tried normal sizes (i.e. 7.5" wide or wider). I did a search and it seems they make 18 X 6" skinny rims...

But in my point of them not fitting, assuming they would be of a "regular" 18" sized rim, I beleive I am correct. With the same stock offset they'd have no to little problems in the front, but a few in the rear due to this: (rough draft of the rear suspension from a front or rear view)

(if this pic doesn't show, it's here)

This is where I foresaw a problem with my tire/ wheel size and promted me to purchase spacers along with the desired wide "bulldog" type stance. This is also where I foresee a problem with large rims. How would they clear the buttom of the spring base (which sticks out at least an inch).

And yes I do have 215 and no problems have arose from this tire size. Even without wheel spacers, I now see, my tires would still fit with no rubbing and full steering travel. I've seen the more popular 205 setup and the tires appear to be too small for the rim in my opinion. Every 205 on 17s setup I have seen, the rim protruded past the tire. Much easier to replace or IGNORE a scuffed tire than it is a curbed or scuffed rim. And I think the combination looks better with a relatively fatter tire.

As for my argument with the 18s again. If he purchased a set of "regular" 18" rims, then the offset would certainaly be a problem for the the front. I mentioned it being a small problem because, he'd have no problem straight. As seen here....

(rough draft of top view of driver's side front suspension

But full tilt turn is where the problems arise....

This is where an improper offset on a large rim will cause problems. The wheel touching the lower A-arm.

You mentioned you know of someone who has 18s.... I curious, can they turn completely. No argument here. I thank you guys for the insight and apologize for the (somewhat) misinformation.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thought I'd through my 2 cents in and stop everyone guessing.

magik8 is the most correct of all.

I have 225/35/18 on my MX6. It has been lowered with Kings Super Lows here in Australia. These give around a 3" drop in ride height. I have the 4WS model, 89.

Offset is the most important part of the equation. Mine are 38 or 35, I can't remember which.

I have absolutely no turning problems or scrubbing when 4WS is disabled. With 4WS enabled, I get slight scrubbing at full lock slow speed turning. If you wanted to get rid of this, you would need to run a 215/35 tire I believe, but having not tried it I can't guarantee that.

For those that want proof...

·
Registered
390 Posts
On a tangent...

Did anybody goto that Beaterz site and look at any of those hideous cars??? I mean look at page 49 in the rice section.BeaterZ Goto the Rice section and then goto selection 49.:cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
didn't i post that link, dont remember.. the best ones are in the "review" section... thats when they get into detail... theres one where the body kit is held in with wood screws... haha.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Well my 4WS doesnt work anymore:(

I think I'll stick with my 17's though. 18's scream weight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts