Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got A ze from a buddy of mine theres a hole in the block but the heads look perfect so i got one head setup off and then i got 4 out of the 8 head bolts off from the other set of heads but one of the cams doesnt seem to want to come off because it is attached to a pulley but the bolt i think its size 14 doesnt wanna come off it keeps spinning the cam...
and i took off all the caps and tried to pull the cam and it didnt wanna come off with the pulley since its too big and kept hitting the outside of the heads

how the hell do i take the pulley off ive tried putting the caps back on and trying to take it off but it just spins the cam...its getting frusterating

plz someone help :cry:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the cam is being flexed at an angle making it impossible to remove because of a lip at the front. Re install some of the cam caps to straighten the cam and it will eventually come once it is even.

If you find still the cam gear is in the way you need to install the cam caps all again fully then use a wrench OR adjustable wrench to hold the cam still while loosening the center bolt of the cam gear.

Dont forget that you can never ever put cam caps in any other spot other than where it came from or your cams will seize up and cause major damage. they are numbered. Also you can not mix caps from other heads either, not even if it has the same number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn i should have known this before eeee
i reinstalled 2 of them dont know if there correct how are they numbered and where do i put the adjustable wrench to hold the cam on place?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the middle of the cam has a HEX shape in the casting for the wrench.........

Um the caps are labeled on the top. I am unsure exactly how they go in sequence but um yea they are precision bored in each location at the factory and cant be mixed to different locations nor mixed with any caps from other heads unless you have a machine shop to do a line bore.

Someone here i am sure can post up the cam cap sequence...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kool yea i saw the part for the wrench so i have the caps and they are numbered 1234etc im curious how are they aligned as far as 1-4 and what directionare the numbers supposed to point?

im clueless since i already took one head off i was in such a hurry to take off the heads i didnt pay attention to DETAIL

another thin i kinda gave them i lil bang from each side to loosen them is that alright??? wasnt too bad i used a rag and a wrench to hit it from side to side
a tad bit of nicks nothing noticable

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
ok i will post pics shortly.

The letters & numbers are able to be read when you are looking at the head from the tranny side not the timing belt side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts