Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,i need a bit of help,i know it's been talked about alot before but my fuel economy is bad and getting worse...does anyone have any ideas? does a screwed o2 sensor make alot of difference(where is the sensor?) the car seems to run fine and i don't drive it that hard. it's getting annoying. cheers for any help

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Hi Swany and welcome,
Yes the O2 sensors will affect fuel economy, there are two sensors, one in each exhaust down pipe, you should be able to see the front one. You need to find out which one, or both, is possibly faulty, to do so, you will need to pull the codes from the ECU.. try this link for info on how to do that.. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/p_m19.htm

Typical O2 codes are ....
15 LHO2S inactivation error
17 LHO2S inversion error
23 RHO2S inactivation error
24 RHO2S inversion error

a LHxxxx if the front sensor, and obviously the RH is the rear.

Need more info ? just shout.

Oddy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey oddy,thanks for the reply! i don't really know anything about codes as such...do they list faults or info on the cars running? the link on your reply was interesting but i've got pretty limited experience in these things,do ya think i could check it out and not blow anything up?!!

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Yes, if there are any codes, it will help you both to determine the fault quickly, and save you money instead of chasing the problem.

Obtaining the codes is very easy... you will need an LED, and a piece of wire or paper clip, ensure its insulated as to avoid any possible shorting, by either using those plastic covered type paper clips or just wrapping tape around the wire.
Open the bonnet, just next to the battery is a small box with diagnostics written on it, open it and inside the lid should be a diagram showing you which connection is which.. then just follow the info in that link i gave you.... once connected, put the ignition on, watch the LED for flashes, note the codes.. turn off ignition, remove jumper wire and led, store in safe place. post on here those codes..

Oddy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts