Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been sucking major ass lately kids, I just got my license last month and I'm seriously hating that my friends pos civic hatchback has kicking the crap outa me all week. Everyday after work it's the same thing, empty parking lot and me hopefully of embarrassing him, never works.
Here are the problems I've been getting:
( it's a 95' PGT ATX)
1fluctuating idle, tonight it dipped below 1/2 and the engine light came on, if i didn't gas it it would've died.
2 horrible accel, I can't get over how bad my starts are, and I'm not looking to race everytime, it's just really bad.
3 when my idle does finally level out at 3/4 the car shakes like hell, I'm thinking motor mounts but I don't understand why

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I've already had my Mass airflow sensor replaced this summer when I got it because it had the same idle problem, so either that was a bad job or it's something else, like the fuel I think, that's messing with the idle. So in other words I don't have money, they're gone in x-mas gifts, any suggestions would help, thanks
Matt C.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Unfortunately, the ATX robs the PGT of alot of acceleration. With the MTX, the PGT is a 7.3- to 7.5-sec 0-60 runner. With the ATX, it's deep into the 8s for the same dash. So without some mods, the PGT ATX isn't a great drag racer.

Re the engine running bad and being down on power, check (in order of severity/difficulty/expense):

- for oil in the plug wells
- the condition of the plug wires and plugs if necessary
- compression on all 6 cylinders
- ignition timing, specifically looking for evidence the timing belt has slipped via severely retarded ignition timing

Very poor acceleration, if the engine is running well, may also point to an internal ATX problem (bad converter stator one-way clutch, slipping clutch packs, poor line pressure etc).

Some ideas for you anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CrazyCastro said:
( it's a 95' PGT ATX)

First off, go here dogg http://www.probetalk.com

I have no idea why you arent takin that stock civic. Might be cuz its an automatic, or you dont know how to drive it or something. I dont know for sure, but that engine has 164 hp stock if its a GT like you wrote. Unless that Civic is an Si with 160hp, you should be able to take him fairly easy man.

Lata playa's
Robert

Reactions: MX6_VTECH

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mike, everything you said makes a lot of sense, those are things I would think to check but not specifically. I'm getting new wirs and plugs this monday, I'm going to change the oil as well, jorge recommend mobile 1 synthetic instead of castrol, so i'm going to try that.

626 thanks for the encouragement, Probetalk has been down, I just got my license so yea I probably am a bad driver but it doesn't take much to slam down the pedal and wait for the car to go, which it usually doesn't. I know the specs of the probe but his car is lighter and a stick so I lose out there. His civic isn't stock either, he has his intake done and some other various stuff, I was really just using that as a point of reference. oh well...

Thanks anyway,
Matt C.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dude, you took that shet the wrong way, wasnt sayin you were a bad driver, dont get your 16 yr old pissy attitude with me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey there Touring626, why don't you take your skank trash talkin ass else where.. Here at mx6.com we don't appreciate those who put down other people's rides. Specially when the person doing the dissing has a family sedan, I mean come on, how fast can a family car go?

jason

·
Registered
42 Posts
ATLien1222 said:
Hey there Touring626, why don't you take your skank trash talkin ass else where.. Here at mx6.com we don't appreciate those who put down other people's rides. Specially when the person doing the dissing has a family sedan, I mean come on, how fast can a family car go?

jason
Haha, Jason, you SUCK!! I'll take your 2.0L atx anyday bro!! Sucks to get beat by a "family sedan"!! Oh yea, it can go faster than YOUR car, haha, just messin bro

Robert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't mean to start a flame kids, I'm sorry touring if I seemed snotty, thanks for your input, I'll take whatever I can get at this point.
Matt C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts