Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok peeps i am about to get $500 and have no mods what should i do first ? any suggestions are welcome thnx

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sounds good but the exhaust is like 600 right? i was looking around other day and the GReddy is like 600 cat-back...hmm unless yous have a cheaper place plz share thnx as for intake im trying to do a custom CAI...

G

·
Man, regardless of sound, a Borla exhaust is just as good as a greddy for performance. It also can cost you less, about 400 bucks for it. You can get an intake with the other hundred. I would say those are the best mods 4 your money when dealin' with 500 dollars.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Guido...

Man, use a universal muffler, I love my Magnaflow. I have 2.25" custom piping, the muffler, and the tip installed out the door for $205. That leaves you plenty to get the CAI. (And probably a nifty-ass shift knob to boot.)

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Guido, my man.... listen.... I don't know how often I get e-mails and IM's asking me this very same question. The thing that you have to ask yourself is this:

Do you want looks first or performance first?

Here's what I would say are the first things you should get depending on what you are lookingf for:

LOOKS(Basics)
-Lowering springs
-Rims
-Body kit
-Exterior Lighting

PERFORMANCE
-CAI
-Exhaust
-High flow cat
-Headers

Everything other then that would be minor aesthetics like shift knowb.. pedals, etc....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
the FIRST thing you need to do is get the hook on your parts. if youre goin performance, a custom bent cat-back (i paid $186), a high flow cone filter (i paid $15 for mine, dont buy the adapter), and hollow out your cat (took me 30 mins). lets see, this leaves you $299. i think pacesetter has a header(s) for about $150. or you could get a short-throw or a clutch. a lightened flywheel ($476, 4-cyl;$490, V-6) would be a really great performance mod. some people say that a chip is the best or a header is the best for performance. theyre looking at added HP. while a flywheel adds no HP, it drastically improves how fast your RPM's increase... which means you get your stock HP before they can get to their extra HP that they got from their header (about 10, maybe 15) or their chip (11, superchips, $399). but for some of the mods i mentioned, you have to be a do-it-yourselfer. of course the BEST mod would be to save about $4000 and do a full performance engine. i paid $4386 for a stage 3 engine (block dipped, milled, glasspeened crank and endcaps,chro-moly rods, 11:1 forged +.040 pistons-knurled and balanced, deves rings,port and polish glasspeened head, 3-angle racing valve seat, competition valves and springs bronze valve guides, stg. 2 cams- INT:36/72 EXH:74/34 DUR:288 LIFT:.520", Kevlar clutch, 9.5 lb flywheel and wires...haven't dynoed yet but im guessing 250 HP. pretty impressive for a 4-cyl, no? next comes the jspec intake manifold, performance fuel rail, oil cooler and NOS (maybe 150 or 200 shot). expect low 12's from the mighty mazda. i think after i get my body kit imma chrome out my valve cover.

[Edited by Stage36 on 04-04-2001 at 06:56 PM]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok guys thnx alot i think im gonna go with the Borla cat-back its only $374 so i have plenty o cash for my CAI which should only be about $50 (cuz im doing it myself) then i still have some money for beer :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't forget that if you order it from carparts.com you can use the discount code and get discounts like 30% or whatever. I heard of a guy over at probetalk that got his borla for something like $275 or $250.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok I'm kinda ignorant in this subject but when it says cat-back does that include the muffler or do i need to buy one separate?thnx for the help...the only problem is i realized b4 i can make my baby faster i need to make sure she can stop so i think with the $500 i will get my x drilled rotors and new pads...then I make her faster

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah cat-back includes the muffler and usually fatter piping. while youre under there, hollow out your cat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts