Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would my car still be running rich if my timing is fine. I am also getting excessive gas comming out of my tail pipe. This one has got me stumped karma to whoever figures it out.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
o2 sensors good? Plugs and wires in good condition? Last time you did a major tune-up?

metros

·
Registered
800 Posts
timing and a rich mixture don't have anything to do with each other. Usually mixture is determined by O2 sensors, VAF and temperature sensor. You may have a bad sensor or a leaking injector. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
[ "timing and a rich mixture don't have anything to do with each other. Usually mixture is determined by O2 sensors, VAF and temperature sensor. You may have a bad sensor or a leaking injector." ]

well said -

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
There you are again audiomaster following me up again with a better answer. It must be gratifying...:muhaha:

metros

·
Registered
274 Posts
last time i had massive amounts of smoke coming out of the car, there was something stuck in the air intake, you might want to take a look.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So timing has nothing to do with mixture? Never heard of that. But i do need a tune up because it has been missing? Could that be unburnt fuel being pushed out? and also would it have anything to do with the pressure regulator?
Just throwing out ideas :idea:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O yeah both o2 sensors are good repalaced about 200 miles ago

·
Registered
800 Posts
steelersfan said:
So timing has nothing to do with mixture? Never heard of that. But i do need a tune up because it has been missing? Could that be unburnt fuel being pushed out? and also would it have anything to do with the pressure regulator?
If it's missing could be a plug, wire or cap and rotor problem. Or the distributor could be going bad.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there any way to test a disty?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was testing out my spark the other day and i grounded one of the plugs on the motor and I so little to no spark and she died....and never started back up. I ended up have to put in a new distributor which was nice and expensive
So be careful...

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
steelersfan said:
it doesnt effect the mixture, how ever it effects the burn. advanced timeing will burn a little richer since more fuel is allowed to exhuast out, a retarted timeing will be a bit more lean since less fuel is allowed to exhaust out.

I may have that wrong, but from my understanding 02 sensors sense the amount of octane in the exhaust(or something gas related)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts