Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced the infamous turbo coolant lines over the weekend. Two words of advice to those who need to but have been putting it off..."Stay Calm".

This had to be one of the more frustrating endeavors I have undertaken with this car. But, stay calm and you'll get through it.

If you remove the intercooler pipe that directly exits the turbo and the boost control solenoid + bracket, access to the hoses and and clamps is little better...

Also, ditch the OEM pinch clamps and replace them with the strangler type. Just trust me on this one.

One last thing... Wear long sleeves. I currently look like I've attempted suicide with the edge of a jewel case.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
make sure you use OE Mazda hoses, don't skimp and go for bulk hose, it kinks and is no good....besides each hose only costs around $5.00 where as a new turbo will run you alot more. When you remove and install the new hoses, make sure you use good clamps that you can access painlessly. If you use the screw in type, make sure that you face the screw upwards for the upper hose and facing the ground for the lower hose. An 1/8 in ratchet with an extension or two will provide you with almost painless adjustment of said screws:tup:

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
This is a bit of a frustrating job that will take a few hours to do. I did it just recently when I installed a new radiator. I did the rubber oil return line and bypass hose while I was at it and it took several hours.

I ended up re-using most of the old pinch style clamps, and replacing them with the screw-on style where I could. The space under the turbo is very tight, and I found that the screw on-clamps just wont work at some of the locations because you can't get a screwdriver in there at the right angle. The pinch clamps take a lot of patience to get right, but it can be done.

Again, I would definitely set aside an afternoon to do this. It's not as easy as it looks. Also, as SixSick6 noted, don't even think about using bulk hose for this application. It will not fit correctly and likely won't handle the heat very well.

The upper turbo coolant line has a thick rubber heat protector over the top of it. Make sure you have this in place or your lines may melt, leaving you stranded.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Ah yes, I've done this before. I made up new obscenities because I ran out of the common ones when doing this job.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
What's wrong with you guys? It took me about 30 minutes to attach both coolant hoses, and the oil return hose... and I used the screw style hose clamps on all of them...

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
yeah same with me :lol:

I think it's a little easier for the guys who have removed their turbo's once before. The original placement of my hose clamps was ridiculous, no way to do it with the turbo still installed. It was like an 1/8th of a turn each time with a 1/4 inch open end that would constantly slip off:mad: Once you remove the turbo, you learn to place the clamps in the optimum position for removel or reinstall without having pain. The first time I took out my turbo I re-used the old hoses for a T Bird rebuild that went sour due to an engine overheat due to a busted coolant line. I took them both off, and replaced with new ones. Once you have the clamps in the right place, it's a breeze, but the first time, you usually use up all your 4 letter words in less than 5 minutes with phrases like "WHO THE F#&K PUT THESE F#%KIN THINGS ON HERE LIKE THIS?" :lol:

G

·
Its faster for me to pull the exhaust manifold off and change them than to try to fit my hands in there. I can do it all in under 30 minutes that way.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i didnt need to buy any of the bulk hose or go to mazda for the oem ones. i took the old hose to advance auto and had them match it up to one they had hanging on the rack. unfortunatly i dont have the part number for it anymore. the best part for me is that after they found the one that matches best i was on my way. didnt even need to be cashed out.:D its good to be cool with the parts guy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well did mine saturday with bulk hose. I would recomend a pair of bent nose needle nose plyers to move the clip on the block. Got to buy me a pair for the next changeout.;)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
OE hoses don't matter really, preformed ones will work just fine.
This is one of the easier things I have done to this car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done mine once, when I rebuilt the turbo. Tight spaces is right!

According to my shop manual the hoses under the turbo are made of special heat resistant rubber. I would be very cautious about using off the shelf preformed hoses from the auto parts store. I got my hoses from Ford and made sure I got the high temp OEM hoses. No problems.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
ive done this before...took 3 hours :E This is right after my mtx conversion...i used the screw type clamps and hose from the atx cooler. they were already bent and fit perfect when i cut it down to size. Also, removed my A/C condensor. (a/c didnt work anyway) Hoses are fine...engine keeps alot cooler than before when i had the condensor in. But yeah, that job was a pain!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
here is a bump to a crazy old thread (found from searching, its amazing what you find when you search)....i am about to change the upper hose (i had the lower one done today b/c it was cracking and had a HUGE bubble in it) and the guy said he wont do it unless i pay to have him take the manifold off. so, i think i will try it myself, and yes, I have the OEM hoses. what I was wondering about, though, is why it is so hard to change the upper? is it only b/c of the time it takes to get the clamps off? I figure that has to be it, since if you have the oem hose, it should be easy to get them off and on. i am guessing that getting tools in to get the clamps off is the toughest part. am i right or wrong? do i have to drain the coolant completely? any other tips on this?

oh, and the OEM guys were right in this thread. the reason i need to change the hoses is that I bought bulk ones 4 years ago, and the lower one did what i said above, and the upper one is now melting. OEM lasted from 88 til 2002. extra 10 years for, what, a buck worth of savings?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
The biggest problem is space constraint. You should also buy the upper shield that is supposed to go on the upper coolant line. It's a preformed piece of rubber that fits over the hose and protects it from the heat of the manifold. Don't be too worried if you don't have one though, I've driven for 3 years without one and never had a problem. But, that doesn't mean you should go without one. SleepCounter posted a picture of it many times.

F220-15-543A is the part #

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i have that cover too! thanks! and whatever happened to sleepcounter?? where did the old guy go?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yes, as I posted a few years back the hardest part is manuvering your hands in to get the clamps off and on again - the space is incredibly tight and you'll have to work from below as you really can't see anything from above. Anyone who thinks this is "easy" must have just gotten lucky or had the manifold off. My suggestion is to first get the clamps off, then use a razor blade to cut the old hose off.

Sleepcounter was banned because he ruffled the feathers of some overzealous mods, I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I changed my coolant lines last year sometime. Changed them when fixing a couple snapped studs on the exhaust manifold. Wasn't too bad.

If you need some help, since I'm local, I'd love to see your beast of a 1g MX-6 since it's the fastest in MA and lend a hand. :tup:

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Well you know.. MaPOC = Massachusetts Pathetic Owner's Club.. just hoping this guy will join so we can change the name.

He has, after all, raced a whole seven 1g's on the eastern 1/3 of our state. I bet at least two of them even knew there was a race going on! :tup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts