Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started getting some hesitation when pulling away from a standing start and when changing up into 2nd. Its a bit like you haven't given it enough revs, it just holds back and won't pick up smoothly. Reading other posts on other hesitations, dose this mean a new dizzy for mine as well

Any ideas :confused:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If your car doesnt cut out mate i would doubt it very much,diizy probs useuly mean the car will stop running for a few secs i think,sounds like mayb abit of fuel injector or cleaner in your car needed mate,its getting cold now so mayb the cold mornings are getting to it abit,other than that i am not sure, someone will help in a min iam sure................

Stu

·
Registered
300 Posts
Morning Blue

No this does not sound like a dizzy problem - If the dizzy goes the car will cut out and then start after a while as soon as it cools down a little bit.

When last did you change her plugs, old plugs can cause such hesitation, even a new plug that is going dead can give simular problems as well.

Check your Distributor cap - clean if necisary, also clean the contacts on the rotor arm.

Check your vacuum pipes for damage (cracks).

I really don't think that it is your dizzy saying to that he wants to be replaced.

Good luck.

William:) :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys (better than the car)
I checked the and re set the spark plug gaps (1.1mm) about a month ago and all seemed well then, but i can't remember the last time i looked at the distibutor cap, or the vacum pipes.
Will check these over the wknd and bung in a load of injector cleaner for good measure

Many Thanks

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hi Blue6,
I see that your car's a '96 model - what's your mileage?

If you've done around 50,000 miles it's about time you changed your plug leads - they gradually deteriorate over time.

I had the same sort of hesitation when I got my car with 52,000 miles on the clock. Changed the plug leads and Bingo - she went just fine...

I bought Magnecor leads at £120, but there are much cheaper ones around.

Ken

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tee hee...... 50,000 miles! mines just covered 100,000 and as far as i can tell they have never been changed !!

Ok i'll need to find a good, but cheepish set any recomendations

·
Registered
900 Posts
Formula Power leads are as good as Magnecor, but cheaper... Set for MX6 (although it's listed for Probe) is £70.

Formula Power 01403754173

Will

·
Registered
154 Posts
I recently bought a set from Mazda, about £70 inc vat if I remember rightly. And they come with all the lead clips and are marked with the cylinder numbers.

Depends if you want go faster goodies or standard.

Many people on here say to avoid the Bosch leads.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it, when you have it licked let me know what it is as mine is doing the same sort of thing. I have just bought a family size tin of carb cleaner to attack the throttle body this weekend.

Duncan

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Blue 6

if the other things don't work try changing the fule filter on it as it more or likely hasn't been change in years :(, very few people ever do change them m8, and that would give the the stuttering if it was starting to get a lot of crap in there.

Andy

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice.
I took off the distributor cap and cleaned up the contact points and rotor arm and that seems to have cured the problem. There was no sign of any damp or muck in the cap so i guess the seal is still doing its job. It remains to be seen is the problem reocurs after a wet cold night.

Thanks again

·
Registered
300 Posts
Blue

Glad your sorted :) :) For your sake I hope the problem does not stick its head out again.:) :) :)

William

1 - 11 of 11 Posts