Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here purchased the HID conversion kits? Looks like BB going on @ groupbuycenter.com for H4, H7, 9005, 9006, 9007 bulb sizes. I can't remember ours off the top of my head. (I have the boxes my PIAA superwhites came in at home) These are actual conversion kits, not merely HID lookalike bulbs. They would appear to mimic the actual HID systems like those on BMW, Audi, etc, but does anyone have first-hand experience with them yet? You can see what's included in the kit at importtrenz.com under "lighting" and under "HID", I believe. They're a LOT cheaper than the J-spec projector lenses we seem to be able to get our hands on through Corksport and the like. Visually, they'll look identical to stock lights during the day, but at night, they'll become the epitome of form AND function. Anyone? Anyone???

·
Banned
55 Posts
stock bulbs are 9004.

HID kits are available although i don't know if the ones in bulk buy will fit.

a buddy of mine has HID with stock housing, and he has been using them trouble-free for more than 6 months. impressive lighting.

BUT you have to consider one thing: you have to say bye bye to your hi-beams since HIDs are lo-beams only.

there are some online retailers offering good deals if you're still interested.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course I'm still interested; I only posted this an hour ago:) Actually, thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of the loss of hi-beam functionality. I'm sure they exaggerate things a bit on their website, but the pictures make the HIDs look a hell of a lot brighter than my high beams even with SuperWhites. My PIAA 1100X foglights have been out of commission for months (relays go out all the time. PIAA sucks!!!) While I'm not technically in the sticks, my house is in a rural area with lots of four-legged critters and I need all the advance warning I can manage at night.

So, they seem to work reliably? For the $400 they cost it seems like a good way to go so long as they're bright enough. I'm looking to buy these for mainly for their improved lighting function as opposed to the "cool" factor.

·
Banned
55 Posts
hi pricing/no hi-beams, that's why i was saying if you're still interested..

reliability shouldn't be a concern as soon as you're dealing with major brands like philips and osram.

i'd recommend this site, it has pretty good info regarding lighting.

http://lighting.mbz.org/

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after reading that, I'll definately have to ride with someone who's done the conversion already for some first-hand experience...

·
Registered
20 Posts
MX 6 with HID in Boston

This question is to bostonMX6
What color is your friend's MX-6?
Is your friend a member of MX6.com?
I like to ask him a few question. Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just installed m HID kits that I ordered from www.hidkits.com and I am very satisfied with them. What I like best is that their kits had no splicing involved, you literally just plug the factory lead into the ballast then plug in the new bulb. And finding a place to mount the ballast wasn't too hard. I now keep a pair of stock bulbs in my glove box in case I cop gives me problems and it will be easy to change them out.

G

·
Jspec lights with HID conversion?

Is it possible to buy a HID conversion kit for the jspec head lights? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am not sure on which type of bulb the jspecs use, but the kit I purchased is designed to replace the 9004 bulb. They do make a large variety of bulb sizes (most of the standard sizes at least)

·
Registered
43 Posts
J-spec bulbs w/hid conversion

The bulb in the j-specs is an H-3. I'm pretty sure someone makes these in hid, apc I think... anyway, that is a very expensive headlight conversion, although it would look extremely tight. You would be looking at around $650-1000 depending on how much you buy the j-specs for, and which hid conversion you buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts