Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People with HId kit on a 1G 6, do u end up needing the high beams, trying to figure out if I need to buy the kit the has the high beam provision as well or just a low beam kit. thanks

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
better do a retrofit into some projectors or else I'll come to your house and shine a 10mil candle power spotlight in your face :D

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
There isnt. You have to take some projectors from another car and "adapt" them into your oem housing. Not too hard and I believe if you search you will find a couple threads on how this has been done in the past.

EDIT: Here you go.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-submission-area/184852-zach-s-hid-retrofit-thread.html

Actually there are. I have a set off universal 9007 HID's that I fit to my 89GT (they where free), the same company makes many different sets, one of which is a 9004 HID kit (this would be direct install). With the 9007 kit required a bit of customizing and switching two wires around.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually there are. I have a set off universal 9007 HID's that I fit to my 89GT (they where free), the same company makes many different sets, one of which is a 9004 HID kit (this would be direct install). With the 9007 kit required a bit of customizing and switching two wires around.
LOL... Actually there isnt. They make direct fit hid conversion kits for our cars but they DONT make direct fit projectors for our cars which is what he is looking for.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Or buy the s13 headlights.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I still got mines, maybe ill throw em on again. :)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts

crappy projector light FTL

I wish I had some output pics...

E46 FTW

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
LOL... Actually there isnt. They make direct fit hid conversion kits for our cars but they DONT make direct fit projectors for our cars which is what he is looking for.
My bad.
Wasn't paying attention.
Myself I would use just HID's or get bright PIAA bulbs. Those projectors ruin the look of our headlights. (bug-eyed, like a subaru).

·
Registered
318 Posts
yeah but the problem is that having HID's without porjectors spill the light all over the place which can be blinding and annoying for drivers infront of you and for drivers heading the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
yeah but the problem is that having HID's without porjectors spill the light all over the place which can be blinding and annoying for drivers infront of you and for drivers heading the opposite direction.
I just pointed the headlights further down. Other motorists seem to have problems with my fog lights more then anything. On both my 6's all the little metal deflectors inside the headlight housings for the fog lights broke off with engine vibration and would rattled around in the headlights until I removed ....
On both cars I run 100w clear blue fog lights without deflectors, at night I can see snow landing on my hood.
I am also running 15w clear blue marker lights (only clear blue ones I could find in our size), they get too hot and melt there way out of the plastic sockets so I melted in some metal bulb sockets that I pulled from the tail light section of a 626 5door.
Oddly enough, people flashed there brights at me more often before I installed the HID's for the fog lights (the crappy part is if I flashed my brights back the fogs go out...). The HID's make the clear blue marker and fog lights look dull, now even with the fogs on I only get flashed once in a while (usually in hills).

The 88gt has the same markers and fogs as the 89gt but I have PIAA bulbs for the head lights -I FIND THE THAT I SEE BETTER WITH THE PIAA's (9004-95w/120w) THEN I DO WITH THE HID'S (9007-7000K), The Piaa's give a better light, I use the brights with the HID's, I never have to use them with the Piaa's (almost).
Everyone flashes there brights at the 88GT and it's not the Fogs (I tried unplugging them and still), it's the Piaa's, the 88GT has the wire harness out of my 626 GT so the fog lights are plugged into the running light sockets and stay on all the time so with the 88GT I get to flash the brights back, if they don't like the 95w running lights then they must really hate the 120w brights:).

PIAA>HID's

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just pointed the headlights further down. Other motorists seem to have problems with my fog lights more then anything. On both my 6's all the little metal deflectors inside the headlight housings for the fog lights broke off with engine vibration and would rattled around in the headlights until I removed ....
On both cars I run 100w clear blue fog lights without deflectors, at night I can see snow landing on my hood.
I am also running 15w clear blue marker lights (only clear blue ones I could find in our size), they get too hot and melt there way out of the plastic sockets so I melted in some metal bulb sockets that I pulled from the tail light section of a 626 5door.
Oddly enough, people flashed there brights at me more often before I installed the HID's for the fog lights (the crappy part is if I flashed my brights back the fogs go out...). The HID's make the clear blue marker and fog lights look dull, now even with the fogs on I only get flashed once in a while (usually in hills).

The 88gt has the same markers and fogs as the 89gt but I have PIAA bulbs for the head lights -I FIND THE THAT I SEE BETTER WITH THE PIAA's (9004-95w/120w) THEN I DO WITH THE HID'S (9007-7000K), The Piaa's give a better light, I use the brights with the HID's, I never have to use them with the Piaa's (almost).
Everyone flashes there brights at the 88GT and it's not the Fogs (I tried unplugging them and still), it's the Piaa's, the 88GT has the wire harness out of my 626 GT so the fog lights are plugged into the running light sockets and stay on all the time so with the 88GT I get to flash the brights back, if they don't like the 95w running lights then they must really hate the 120w brights:).

PIAA>HID's
Have fun when you burn your harnesses out running almost double the wattage of stock lights.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Have fun when you burn your harnesses out running almost double the wattage of stock lights.
The 1988 MX6gt's head light set up and wire harness have been working together in there current set-up since the year 2000, with 100w fogs, 15w markers and the Piaa head lights, every peanut bulb on and in the car have been replaced with brighter piaa's also.
That's 9years, almost half your life time and the harness hasn't burned yet and if you think about it I am running 100w fog on less then 10w marker light wires (the wires and plugs are identical to those for the fogs on the MX6 just no relay or switch). However if the harness does burn out it only takes about 1hour to swap in another.

The HID conversion kit only plugs to one of the factory head light plugs and only draws on/off and bright/normal signals from the plug, power to the HID's passes only through the HID kit and is fed from the battery and frame (not the factory harness). So I am even less concerned with burning the harness on the 89gt.

My biggest problem (it being winter) is with the cooling fan running all the time, rear defrost, heater/defrost on, radio, HID's, bright fogs/markers.... A UR UNDERDRIVE PULLEY AND LOW IDLE, the alternator cant always keep up with the power demands at idle sometimes, if I let it idle a while with everything on it feeds off the battery, so I have to remember to turn a few things of during the turbo cool down or it might not start again right away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts