Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i belive they are HID for the new style of head lights such as BMW mercedes use in there new cars. for the second generation eclipse's they cost around 1,000 dollars. do they make them for the probe or mx6? 2nd generation?

also does anyone know where i can buy a 2nd generation mx6 with a j spec engine ?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Lord Optik said:
also does anyone know where i can buy a 2nd generation mx6 with a j spec engine ?
Yeah sure.... you can go to Japan and get one.. Ohh wait.. they don't make them there anymore to.. But you can probably buy a used one. If not, you're gonn ahafta get a regular LS and then buy the ZE engine and swap them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
HiD Head lights

I'm not sure as to where you wouold find a conversion kit, but if its just the look your out to get pick up some PIAA super wites, they have the exact same effect. But be warned, HID lights are illegal unless their oem in some states.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
HID illegal?

i have not heard of the actuall headlights being illegal. it is the ones your talking about that are illegal in some states. the copy cat lights.

i want them because they make the road easier to see at night

125 Posts
When you buy the PIAA headlights they guarantee 50 legality. Most even come w/ a little leaflet that you can show to the cops that proves they are legal. And most COPS won't give you trouble on PIAA's anyways because they are a bright white, not that blue color.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
they may be legal but they do not give you the same visibility as the HID headlights.. they make things much clearer visibily. i don't want just really bright headlights i want the brigher color which is a blueish tint from the real deal

they arn't bulbs they are a type of gas i belive. in wiscsonsin it's the imitation lights that get you pulled over

and the look of them makes the car seem more impressive :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
HID

The real HID systems your talking about are more than just bulds yes. HID works on a completely different system than normal headlights. Different voltage, head lamps, bulbs etc... Its a really expensive upgrade. I havn't heard of an HID conversion kit for the MX6, but I don't believe that it has to be car specific. The headlight assembly it self wouldn't have to be replaced, just the bulbs and some electronics would need to be added. Don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that you can get a generic conversion kit. Not cheap I'm sure of that.

·
Registered
488 Posts
HID conversion kits are available, but only for H-4 style bulbs and only in low beam pattern. You have to lose the high beam or get aditional high beam lights. For the bulb, ballast and converter you are looking around $1000 /pr. you also need to upgrade the electrical wiring going to them, but it's a mute point with the stock MX-6 housing as we use 9007 series bulbs. PIAA has bulbs in various shades of white to blue with a few of them looking close to HID and being street legal, but they do not have the same output and beam cut-off pattern of a true HID system.

·
Registered
357 Posts
there *is* an HID upgrade

they have tons of HID upgrade kits ranging from $699 all the way to $1299.

they have the upgrade for many different bulb types (including the 9004 which the 2nd gen runs on). go to http://www.msn.com or your favorite search engine and search for HID upgrade.

oh, yeah, and they ARE NOT illegal in any state. your reasoning was stupid anyways because there is no way that a cop can prove the lights aren't OEM anyways. so i don't know where you made that one up at. the only way they are illegal is if you don't have a leveler on it, which comes with the kits.

the HID kit has the volt converter which converts your 12v into the bulb into about 20,000 volts that is needed for the Xenon gas in the bulb to light up. the leveler is needed because you can't have the low or high beams at that angle with the intense light produced by the HID lights. you need a lower angle, so as not to LITERALLY blind someone driving past you.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response!

i haven't posted here in a while but i now have a 97 automatic M edition MX-6 :)

I LOVE IT

[Edited by Lord Optik on 03-09-2001 at 12:09 PM]

·
Registered
357 Posts
that's the reason that you *have* to have the glass projection headlights to have HID lights... because plastic will melt.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Those HID conversion kits are nothing more than a regular xenon bulb that is being charged up.
Since our headlight covers are not crystal clear and more opaque, the hid's wont give the full effect that an hid should.
Also I would be very worried about having the cover's melt. A friend of mine put the hid's into his subaru and about 4 days after using them he had to buy brand new headlight fixtures. Luckily the hid's themselves weren't damaged.
For our cars, the extra dough for the real hid's is not worth it. Just buy the PIAA's.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
okay...about these HIDs... first of all, that 20000 volts is a VERY low current so you wont have any problem with the wiring. that wiring comes from a ballast. the ballast sends out the operating voltage and an igniter (inside the ballast housing) sends a voltage spike to ignite the xenon gas upon turning them on. they make them for the 9004 and there is a high/low beam function but there is not that much of a difference in the brightness because there are no filaments, just charged xenon gas. also if you were to put them in the 6 with no other modifications, they would be illegal...in NM anyways. if its illegal in NM its probably illegal in every state. the reason it is illegal is because it violates the headlight statute which states "none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be aimed at any drivers eyes". in order to do that, you will have to do what is called "beam correcting". the housing will have to be modified. when you dont have a filament, just a "blob" of light, it goes everywhere. the 9004 filament bulbs have a small filament that is precisely positioned and the housings were made to accomodate this bulb and direct the beam towards the ground.

·
Banned
55 Posts
finally the last reply explained everything the right way, some threads having some untrue information.. hid bulbs require only 35W and their heat radiation is much less than halogen bulbs.. yes, in many cars you need a beam pattern correction kit. my friend is using philips hid kit on his vw gti (it uses seperate bulbs for hi-beams) and i put his kit on my mx6 for a couple days. well, far better than my piaa bulbs but beam pattern already sucks and no hi-beams either..

·
Registered
475 Posts
my friend did melt his lens thanks to his hid kit. Im not sure of the cause. Aftermarket hid kits are really not worth the money or the trouble (with the beam correction kit and fire hazards) for our cars. Thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
are the jspec projector headlights plastic??? coldnoodle???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts