Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so i dont know much about hid's but if you take the stock ones from another car do u need anything else besides the actual projector??

can u just hook it up to a 12v source and ground it and itll work?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
ballasts, bulbs, projectors. To fit the projectors = custom work. Not so easy.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I recommend OEM HID components...but that's just me.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ Yeah you can buy a complete HID kit, and follow the (internet available) instructions to install it. Its not hard to do. But please, if you do want to sport HID, please use the proper headlights, as in J-specs or HID converted Angel eyes.
Dont be one of these ricers that installs HID's in a conventional light housing. They blind everybody on the road. :tdown: :tdown:

But to answer your question properly, yes you can buy the actual fish-eye projector off of another car. The RSX's come with fantastic HID ready projectors, same with countless Audi's. Hella Also offers a projector lens that'll fit right into the angle eye housing.
Or lastly you can buy J-specs as they are already HID ready.
Keep in mind the bulb that you'll need to buy an HID kit that correspondes with what ever projector light assembly you buy. For instance I think the J-specs (please dont quote me on this) require an H4 bulb. So you'll need to buy an HID kit that comes with a (for example) H4 bulb.
The HID kits aren't too expensive. Also please do your research on the different bulb temps, as they offer different color spectrums and light distribution patterns.
5000-6000k is probably your best bet, thats the pale blue hue that most OEM systems have. 13k is bright purple/pink, 2k is that "Japanese yellow".

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow thanks alot everyone!! ... im looking to fit a pair in my fogs .. i am completely comfortable building custom housing for them

i know yellow is the best for seeing through fog, but im not really a fan of the colour.. would 13k pojectors melt my fogs?? bc i can get my hands on a pair of projectors from an 06 maxima and im pretty sure those are 13k bc they look purply (my cars kauai blue so it should look quite nice!!)

is anyone aware of anyone doing this??

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ Like I say, do your research. DIfferent bulb temps create different colors, and different light dispersion patterns. Very few people use 13k because it is absolutely blinding for other drivers, and doesn't focus the light as well as lower bulb temps do, which can DEFINATELY be a problem in fog/snowing environments, trust me: It would be like using your highbeams in the fog.
I've never heard of an HID bulb melting any housing, in any instance short of an HID bulb being stuffed into a housing that it was not designed for, as in a low wattage fog light housing, but again whats the point?. The internal bulb temp for an HID bulb doesn't work the same way a Halogen would, as in a 100watt Halogen bulb will create MUCH more radiant heat then would a 35watt one. <-- in that case you have to worry about it, but much like different bulbs used for different scientology purposes, (as in forensics) it doesn't work on the same principal. The 13k will be no more hot in physical temp then would a 2k.
Like i say there is a boat load of info on this stuff already, just google HID bulb temps and that'll show you everything you need to know regarding actual colors, dispersion patterns, and whatever else.

Installing HID projectors into fog lights is very easy. Check out this section for other links that may be what you're after.
2G FAQ: Appearance - MX6.com

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Actually Graham, the jspecs aren't HID ready. You may think so because of the projector, but projector design has to do a lot with the type of light that is ouput. HID light is crescent shaped, and halogon/filament light is circular. Big difference in quality of light output :)

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ shitty. Sorry for the bump-steer then 97Mx6. I always thought they were. I never had a pair so I didn't know for certain. WIth the members on here using j-specs for their HID installs I thought they were. I apologize for the mis-information then. :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahah no problem cool thanks alot!!! .... if only j specs werent so expensive ppppppppffffffffff

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^They are retardedly expensive. I'm working on bringing them as well as other JDM components for these cars for much cheaper that what most people normally pay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts