Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day as i was installing the pacesetter headers I bought i noticed my cat wasn't in all that great of shape so it's time for a new cat. Im going for a hi flow cat but i dont know which one to get. I know there is a whole bunch of them on www.performancecenter.com for like 100 bux. So im going to get one of those. But I dont know which one to go with. My friend said he knows a guy who bought the magnaflow one and saw no booste in HP on the dyno. So basically which one should i get. I really cant spend much more than 100 bux or so. Which ones have you guys used. And any one used one on a N/A

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Ive got a Magna Flow 12" cat.
100$ canadian

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MazdaMan069 said:
[SixSick6] What do you mean by high flowed? [/SixSick6]
High flowed as in not restrictive, not such a restrictive screen, wide diamiter pipe (well....wider than stock), free flowing, i think everyone here knows what high flowed meens. Damian is just being a smart ass with that comment

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
that wasnt a bad price for the car sound cat. i need that to complete my exhaust.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The only thing that will tell you anything about the cat is the cross-sectional area of the element, and how many cells the cat has. Any cat in this price range will be pretty much the same Monolithic cermaic cats like stock. The difference in flow will be from the increased pipe diameter, if anything.

To put things in perspective, 100-cell cats go for about $2000.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
vrouv06 said:
High flowed as in not restrictive, not such a restrictive screen, wide diamiter pipe (well....wider than stock), free flowing, i think everyone here knows what high flowed meens. Damian is just being a smart ass with that comment
Yeah, I know..I was just making fun of him :lol: All in good fun.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HotRodMex said:
To put things in perspective, 100-cell cats go for about $2000.
2 grand?!?! Dude thats nuts. Personally I see no reason for spending 2 grand on something that does the same job that one that costs 100 bux does. In my opinion, as long as it passes inspection, it good enough...providing it doesn't restrict HP

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You guys don't own E46 M3s though, do you? The pair I saw went onto a supercharged M3.

And no, It does NOT do the same thing. There are probably several hundred cells in normal cats (stock and magnaflow, same thing). A 100-cell cat makes it almost like straight pipe, but uses lots of platinum and other expensive metals to to the job.

It's acctually a big trend in Japanese tuning; street legality, that is. I think I read that all of the D1GP cars are emissions legal (Japan). A lot of the premier tuners are showing that you can RESPONSIBLY make big power. Not for everyone, but if you're tuning an M3, or Skyline, or twin turbo Soarer, and want to be a responsible human being, then it's for you.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i got mine off of www.corksport.com if you want some you should buy them now while they're in stock. They had to order a bunch for my cause they were out and it took a million years to finally get here

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A couple things about them though is for one the inlet on the headers for the metal tube that is attatched to the exhaust (i forget what it's called) is angled a little bit low so you kinda have to tap it upwards with a hammer, and also sence your car is old and is from CO you'll probably incounter the bolts on the cat are beyond rusted. My impact wrench couldn't even take them on. I had to pull out the cat completly. Either way i would put a highflow cat on while your down there

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.