Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all...my next mod on my car will be a new CAT as mine is somewhat clogged now...so what i want to know is does a high flow cat really make a difference in power?

and what prices do a high flow cat and normal cat go for?

p.s. which CAT will alow my exhaust sound to be the QUIETEST?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
?

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Well my high flow cat cost 400$. If anything it will make you exhaust louder.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
First off let me say there is no such thing as a High flow CAT

It's a term used for a larger cat. As a larger cat will flow more.
Unfortunatly Cat converters are expensive most expensive part.
The thing you have ot watch for is incorretly done Cat jobs.

I have seen alot of So called High flow 2.5inch and 3inch systems with 2.25inch cats and 2.75inch Converters, All ot keep costs down. Instead of the ture 2.5 inch cat or 3inch cat.
It's easy to tell as where they weld onto the cat the flange plate which uses bolts and a gasket to connect to the rest of your system. You will see a size difference.

If you are running a 3inch system make sure you get a 3inch cat same for a 2.5inch system.

Yes this will be a High flow CAT because it will be bigger and higher flowing.
Cheaper option is a HSV R8 clubby Cat they are good and not bad on price. Or even a Porsche cat but I know they go for upto $500 2nd hand, Foudn one 5000k's off a C4TT and they wanted $900 for it. 70mm inlets and 100 outlet.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are ur guys' opinions on gutting out the existing CAT ?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
dont gut your cat man.

besides the fact your car will smell like petrol, if the EPA get on to you, its a 10,000 dollar fine - or so ive been told.

its quite rediculous and hard to believe but everybody tends to say its true.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Gutting cats ? it's like this big fine is it worth 2KW's at the wheels? Hmm 2kWs you can make up with good cold air intake or clean filter, $5000 fine plus ETC Himm lets see ?

You cars is lowered not worth the risk.

My Station Wagon has a almost hollow cat due to age, but I knw it will never get EPA test. Who's going ot belive it was done for performance. Like most family cars
Note you are in Sydney - your car has wanted for testing all over, why take the risk.

Cat converters are there for a reason, you need them why empty one.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok coo..the reason im asking is that the exhaust guys told me my CAT is clogged...and im worried that the crap in the CAT will go on and clog my new exhaust...would this happen?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well duhhh...
but i still am want to know ;)
will the crap in the CAT go on and clog my new exhaust???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
What I have been told is that 'hi-flow' cats do exist. Not only can you get a bigger diameter, but also tight the honey comb structure is inside them. What I was informed is that the honey comb structure inside hi-flow cats isnt as tight, causing less restriction.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok coo....

but will the crap in the CAT go on and clog my new exhaust???

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
I dont know for sure, The material in the cat can get lose and rattle, but I dont know if it will go into the exhaust itself. The best thing to do is just replace the Cat asap. It hurts fuel economy and power, if clogged.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
NO it will not stuff the rest out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Man my CAT was cheap as. I got a high flow 2.5" CAT at exotic exhaust for $150. But i am a regular customer so they look after me. :D

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a high flow 2.5" CAT at exotic exhaust for $150
which brand was that one?

and what brands are recommended for the quietest sound possible but still keeps the high flow

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what price does a 2.5" high flow CAT go for in sydney?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Man, do you have to bump your own thread sooooo much?
Pick up a phone and call an exhaust shop. Rod's already told you there is NO SUCH THING as a hiflow cat, just different diameters.

This confirms what my exhaust guy who I have been using for 11 years has told me, Cats are not performance items. I've not known Rod to be wrong, he knows his stuff.
Big bore NEVER means quieter.
Sound retriction means flow restiction, if they had cars when Moses was alive that would have been comandment #11.
What process have you gone through to even establish that your cat is even clogged?

I may sound harsh but you come off seeming really pushy with your continual bumps, then after being told an answer continue asking the same questions. It's been mentioned before on other threads, take some advice when offered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts