Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried online and looking around at many different auto parts stores for some high heat paint. I have found some but all are really generic. Is there really only a handful of colors out there or am I looking in the wrong places. I am trying to do a "gunmetal" engine color scheme, but the color seems impossible to find for high temps. If all else fails I'll probably go yellow accent with black background... Any ideas of where I can get some alternative colors?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
What are you trying to paint?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I just bought a sandblaster sooooo I'm going crazy. Everything, I am painting the Block, Head, Intake manifold, Intake, throttle body, Header, hard lines for water and oil, and hard vacuum lines.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
sandblaster eh? I might have to visit you some weekend :p

you should be able to find some hi-temp ceramc paint in rattle cans pretty easily. Since you're in Auburn, B&B should have a good collection.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, k. It isn't a booth though, it's just a gravity fed gun. But I have a bench I am cheaply converting into a back drop with a sand return. I am excited, after shes all blasted and painted she gets reassembled. I'm only waiting on bore diameter for piston rings...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, Thanx for the tip!

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you want a cheap low to med gloss paint, stove paint is usually good up to 1200 degrees.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, thats a good idea. Now any ideas on maybe a fluorescent yellow, or a neon yellow?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I think there are only 2 kinds of green. Shiny metallic green, or the standard green. Which one should I do? I'm thinking standard. I also think I am going with black anodized IC piping so it will compliment each other well.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Sparkles.. if you are getting sshiny metallic green.. you need sparkles..

or maybe:

more like this:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shizzle! I couldn't even imagine the cost on that paint! I pretty much have to paint the entire engine with heat treated paint, I going to paint the Block, head, header, and intake manifold "Black" and I want to paint the valve cover, intake, throttle body, distributor, "hard" cooling line, and anything else showing visual another color. Green would be pretty sick! But my colors are limited! LAME!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
i dont know how it can be that limited when me and kyle painted up our engines it took us forever to decide what color to use. way to many to choose from.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the only place I can find colors for high temp are flashy ugly ones or flat plain ones. I've looked at Schucks, Big Wheel, and G.I. Joes. Other than the block, head, exhaust manifold, and intake manifold. Which other parts "have" to have the high heat paint? If you can use regular paint the color spectrum went HUGE! Or is there a special place you get the goodies from? cause I don't see them. ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They make paint just for calipers? they do get pretty toasty though! I wouldn't mind seeing a blue though! You see a lot of IC piping in blue but not many engines paint in blue. But that could just be me. I don't know... I think duplicolor has the widest range as far as paints.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You don't need super high temp paint for the block, intake or heads. Engine paint works fine like steve said and you should be able to find that at any DIY auto store, prob good up to 500. Your tstat opens at under 200 and operating temp isn't probably much higher or you car would be toast. The headers are going to be the hottest part.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, before I took the 6 all apart, I was running under 200 like you said. But the engine looked so freakin hot! I went in to have the emissions done and I have no speedometer cable. So ofcourse I was hauling down there(because it is so easy to do in this car!) and the guy pops the hood, clamps his spark tester on #1 and gets up to speed using his screen. He walks around the car tells me I passed and burns the SHIZZ out of his had. It gets really hot under there, REALLY HOT! Or is that just me? ;) I also just ground off and welded a slug on me EGR from the exhaust manifold

1 - 20 of 23 Posts