Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've done alot of searching and looking, so don't flame me, because I have found some stuff, but I just wanted to see if anyone has had this same problem in particular. My car used to fluctuate idle, like from about 1200-2000rpms. Usually when it got warm the idle would settle down to about 1200. Now, the car idles at 2000-2100 rpms all the time. Any ideas? Also, could this be damaging to the car? thanx alot

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ah, the dreaded idle flux. There could be a TON of things causing the high idle. Bad temp sensor, bad o2 sensor, bad thermostat, bad IAC, vaccum leak, fuel pressure sensor? That should keep you busy for a while. Honestly, unless you're ready to take it in to a mechanic it's pretty much hit and miss. I would start with the cheaper things like the vaccum leak and possible thermostat problem. If that's not it then maybe you might want to take it in and get it diagnosed.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Nakano_Kid said:
Ah, the dreaded idle flux. There could be a TON of things causing the high idle. Bad temp sensor, bad o2 sensor, bad thermostat, bad IAC, vaccum leak, fuel pressure sensor? That should keep you busy for a while. Honestly, unless you're ready to take it in to a mechanic it's pretty much hit and miss. I would start with the cheaper things like the vaccum leak and possible thermostat problem. If that's not it then maybe you might want to take it in and get it diagnosed.
Also, modified throttle bodies are notorious for this problem.

Get a Haynes manual, go through the diagnostics they recommend for a high idle. Hopefully it is something simple/cheap :)
-Garrett

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, could someone please tell me if this is hurtful to my engine. I have just spent like $2k on my engine and other parts of the car, so I don't want it to f**k up on me now. thanx

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, not having an O2 sensor working isn't the BEST thing in the world but as long as you don't leave it for a long time it'll be ok. It could be the cause of your high idle. But like I said, it' pretty much hit and miss. I would definatly replace the O2 sensor soon though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
definitely replace the o2 sensor. Check your spark gaps and basic tune-up stuff. I was pissed about my engine idle being high for like 3 weeks one time. Turns out a mechanic who was working on my car accidentally pulled a vacuum hose that couldn't be seen very well. So - really carefully check all your hoses/electrical harnesses. Does the idle ever settle down?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, the idle never settles down...its at a constant 2000-2100 rpm. I just changed the o2 sensor so thats not the problem. Now, i know i wont be able to figure it out, so i'll have to wait until i get the money to go to a mechanic. Is high idle bad for my car? I mean, could it screw something up from idling at 2000rpm?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts