Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will probably be purchasing a 92 mx6 ls after the easter break when the banks open again. I have been looking for a while now and finding a tidy one here in perth has been kinda hard. The only problem with the one ive found is that it has exceptionally high km's (340,000 or so). Took it for a test drive today and all runs well except for it running a bit hot, but i figure i can expect prroblems in the near future. What would be the best way of tackling this? :shrug: should i get the engine rebuilt?, if so where? or should i look for replacement? and then should i get a DE or ZE and then where would i get one? I would appreciate any help and appologise for my lack of knowledge.
cheers, Josh.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure what the km -> miles conversion is, but just picked up my fixer upper for $300 with about 165,000 miles. (It needs TONS of work but that's another thread).

What are your goals for the car? Daily driver, fast DD, weekend racer for drag or auto-x.... they are all going to be different if done properly. If mileage worries you, you can pickup a KLZE for under a grand.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you're worried about it, do a compression test. If the numbers seem low, add a tea spoon of oil down and check again, that'll tell you if its the rings thats leaking compression, or the valve seals.

If the compression turns out great, then search the forum on how to sea-foam your engine, it'll clean a lot of carbon out of the intake, pistons, and back of the intake valves.

JACK.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your responces, all the information i can get is very helpful. 340,000km is roughly 210,000 miles, probably a bit more. Right now i just want the car as a daily driver although i am keen to do some performance mods after im finished with the visuals, so im not sure what category that puts me in.

Regarding the overheating, im hoping is just something simple like a clogged radiator and not a damaged head gasket. Im taking it to my mechanic on tuesday do get it looked at but im unsure on what to actually get him to look at.

If i wanted to get a replacement engine where would i go to get one and what would i expect to pay, keeping in mind that im in Perth, Australia.

Would i simply get my mechanic to perform the compression test or wold it be something easily doable by the average person?

Josh

·
Registered
86 Posts
Someone had a link on here a day or two ago to a company they trust.... can't find it now. They had one listed for just under $800 and that seems to be as cheap as they come. Found a site with about 10 seconds on google with a comparable engine in stock for $800
http://www.naganojapanese.com - Jdm engines, jdm motors, quebec jdm, sr20det, jdm honda parts, jdm honda, used japanese engines

Because you are way down under, I'm not sure how hard it would be to get an engine. Luckily, I am in the US which seems to be a dumping ground for old car parts.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha yeah i wish i was over there... There are so many parts available over there and there a fraction of the price over here. WHen the shops open again after easter im gonna call all the wreckers and hopefully ill find an import wreckers that has one. If not ill have to get it rebuilt :/

cheers for the help, fingers crossed :]

Josh

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey mate, you live in Perth Australia eh? I'm in Adelaide.

How much you end up paying for your MX6? 340,000kms is a fair bit. I got my MX6 for $3300 and it had 196,000kms. Generally good ones go for around 5-7 in Australia. Mine seems pretty good, has a few minor problems but nothing major. I hope you didn't pay 5 grand or something.

You can swap the engine if needed, with either another DE or a ZE. ZE are hard to find and possibly risky these days. They have been sitting around for a while. Rebuilding may be a good idea, or even buying an engine from a wrecked Aussie car. I see them sell on the auctions on a fairly regular basis. Anything that looks nice with less than 200,000kms on it should be fine. Basically, if the car had massive side or rear damage you can be somewhat sure the engine was ok and the car was only written off because of the accident. If you find a car that has no damage at the wreckers, it may be because of engine damage.

Most people here service their cars on time so sometimes high mileage engine run way better than thrashed out ZE's do. I know my MX6 DE runs way better than My MX3's ZE. People in Japan can be lazy bastards who don't give a rats ass about their cars, they get replaced fairly often so why would they spend money on the car?

These engines can go for up to 400,000kms no probs if taken care of. They can have major problems in less than 80,000kms if not taken care of. Rebuilding is expensive but if done right, will give you a brand new reliable engine.

What's your goal with the car? Honestly I'll tell you right now, it will be a money pit if you start engine swapping and whatnot. It could be better to simply sell, or part it out and buy a low km MX6 with a good body, paint etc.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure do, I love it here but its not the best place for getting car parts, especialy over this side of the country :p

I havent actually bought it yet, i was just wondering whether it would be worth buying. The guy is asking $2990 for it but i would probably be able to haggle him down a bit for cash.

Despite the high km's the interior and exterior are perfect besides some faded paint on the boot but thats easily buffed out.

The engine runs well despite the high km as it has obviously been taken care of. But theres no way of telling if that will change so something probably has to be done.

How much does getting an engine rebuilt actually cost? (as that is what determines whether i buy this one or wait for one with lower km's to come along) and if i was to get it done where would be the best place to go? .

My goal for the car is to have a reliable DD that has a bit of grunt although its interior and exterior id put before engine performance.

Josh

·
Registered
418 Posts
Might be more benificial to repost this thread in the 'Australian New Zealand' forum. Theres plenty of guys there with loads of helpful information regarding owning one of these cars:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
He's asking for almost 3000 lol. I would definitely not pay more than 2000 for it. I got my MX6 for 3300 as I pointed out. It had a few small issues, which I used to bump down the price. The guy wanted 5000 for it but it was a 1992, it had no air con (broken air con unit), steering didn't self centre very well and faded paint. I came with cash and bumped him down from 5,000.

I've seen some nice MX6s asking for around 5-6. Always go with less cash than what they ask. 340,000 is close to a rebuild, no matter how good it was taken care of. Rebuilding will cost more than 3000. That's why I think it's better to pay 5 for one with lower kms, maybe a 1995 model with about 150-200,000 on it.

Reactions: Johannazburga
1 - 10 of 10 Posts